Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [source code] The best and the only chat....
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Chimaera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well one of the resident Turing geniuses hath spoken. Fork it is.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Chimaera wrote:
How would you be able to modify the program to have multi-way chat and 1 host? I'm trying to get it to be able to have 1 computer to host and have multiple clients connect to the same host but so far it doesn't make sense to me as to how I can get 2+ computers onto the same connection.

it is really easy.. u need to know a bit on networking. well now for this app u cannot use a peer2peer design (actually u can but then it gets Very Complicated). so now u need a client server design.. this way all the clients register themselves with the server (i.e they logon). then the server sends a list of all available contacts (online folks). when a client initiates a conversaion with one of them it really tell the server to notify the other client about it.

from this step onwards u get a choice:
1) send all messages through the server to the other client and visa-versa
2) initiate a direct connection with the other client by using the information provided by the server. then both clients connect to one another..

for a group conversation u'll need to use choice 1 only.

a pooling mechanism is necessary on the server side for choice 1
white_dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i really liked it. nice work on da whole ting. all da other chat programs didn't work on my compu. Very Happy urs did. good job!
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its good BUT definatly not hte best , neither is mine but here are a few things in mine that you should consider intagrating into yours , i have edited a proper email function that stops overflows on line , so that whe na picture loads it wont error out , hte only thing that cant be fixed is somtimes you get a integer overflow expression for some reason , and you can sufeccfully connect to an ftp with mine and send commands to it , you cant do that on yours becuase no matter what he sends your nick name with the message , when you go to ftp or email on mine , you nick name gets cut out., so really its 3 programs in one, dont call it the best chat program ever man , there is along way to go before its the best.now on a lighter note your use of verifing the integrity was a good idea i like it , your program was good so il give you some bits but dont think its the only one out there... Very Happy Very Happy

+ bits
icemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

8) 8)
wow sounds tricky, what if i told you it has already been done.... haha
are you ready? Shocked 8)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: