Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Password Protection
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:54 pm   Post subject: Password Protection

I was hoping someone on CompSci could give me a little help with .htaccess. I'm reading a couple of things to find out how to use it, but I find that asking
someone on CompSci really helps me out. So could someone explain to me how exactly you would make it and all, where you'd keep it in your folders(site's folders)...and....ya Very Happy
thanks guys Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
octopi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Password Protection

Hello,

It depends what you'd like to do with the .htaccess file, as it can do many many things. Generally you'll open up notepad or something similar and save the file as ".htaccess" including the quotes. You would then upload it to your webserver into the directory of your choosing.

Perhaps if you tell me what you want to do with it I can be more help.

Jeb
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Password Protection

well im trying to use it for password protection
hence the topic title "Password Protection"

k like me and a friend had to password protect our website (teacher's request)...and well he used javascript to password protect it
before he told me the pass i managed to get into the site in 3 minutes
Razz

therefore
our password protection sucks

so i was hoping you could tell me how to use htacess cus i read that it was better than javasricpt for password protection
Tony

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Password Protection

It's usually a good idea to know what JavaScript is, before using it for anything. Here's a hint: the execution of code is done locally and only if the user chooses to run it in the first place.

To put that into perspective, here's a hypothetical scenario:

your friend's website: would you like to run this javascript?
me: no.

circumvention of authentication in well under 3 minutes Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Password Protection

never mind i talked to my friend
and it turns out we're gonna be removing the pass
as soon as he indexes the site on google
coder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Password Protection

Sniper4Life @ Fri May 01, 2009 10:54 pm wrote:
I was hoping someone on CompSci could give me a little help with .htaccess. I'm reading a couple of things to find out how to use it, but I find that asking
someone on CompSci really helps me out. So could someone explain to me how exactly you would make it and all, where you'd keep it in your folders(site's folders)...and....ya Very Happy
thanks guys Very Happy

If your still interested, here is a a little tutorial on how to create these files:
Creating .htaccess files
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: