Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 An observation on OOP exploration
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going to attribute a great deal of my knowledge to the Ars Programmers Symposium.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Danjen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am   Post subject: Re: An observation on OOP exploration

In my school, we have basic computer programming for gr. 10, and computer engineering for grades 10 and 11. Our choices of languages include turing. Our teacher usually gets to around arrays and basic games (object collision being one of the last things taught), however, he does not know much else Confused I had to figure out how to use the Net and GUI modules, and how to use flexible arrays, records, and classes/pointers myself.

... On that note, what language(s) should I learn after turing?
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 am   Post subject: Re: An observation on OOP exploration

Danjen @ Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am wrote:
... On that note, what language(s) should I learn after turing?
Ruby is a very nice, simple language. You can try it out by going here.
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm   Post subject: Re: An observation on OOP exploration

Danjen @ Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am wrote:
On that note, what language(s) should I learn after turing?

This question is commonly asked and there are many threads dealing with this. Here are a few links to threads:
Where to go next?
What programming language should I learn? (updated)
Hackmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 pm   Post subject: Re: An observation on OOP exploration

I just saw this post, so I want to start right at the beggining of it. Smile

wtd... I firmly believe that you can't learn programming without intiative. otherwise, you want an easy credit, which you will not find. I am an obscurist in turing. I am taking it the limits and seeing what it can do! I'm now looking at the Dir and Net modules, and just playing with it in general.

In response to the issue of teachers not knowing anything, my teacher knows java. well. but not turing. The syntax kills her. BooHoo

in summary, this same person who barely knows arrays in turing is getting a student who just learned that very same syntax over 2 weeks to teach the class. I'm giving a lecture on AI tommorow, actually, and I'm going to post a tut on it as well, if I find theree hasn't already been one. Whatever. but I have taught a lot of main principals in that class, and continue to. do I mind? no! I'm learning how to teach, and learning how to program on my own time, which is fine, becuase it's a passion.

anyways, that's my view. Congrats to wtd for getting a post in the tut section that was more that a page worth of replies!

thanks!
Savage Reindeer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

[quote="ericfourfour @ Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:39 pm"]I do not think that the teacher could teach OOP in the first year. quote]

My Programming teacher is gay and doesn't teach java until grade 12. And by then there aren't enought people in the class
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Savage Reindeer @ Fri May 01, 2009 8:48 am wrote:

My Programming teacher is gay

If you mean this literally, it's irrelevant. If you're using "gay" as a pejorative, that is stupid and juvenile.
Savage Reindeer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
If you mean this literally, it's irrelevant. If you're using "gay" as a pejorative, that is stupid and juvenile.

er, I should say that he doesn't really know what he's doing. We spend an entire semester learning nothing but animation, and then move into other stuff in the second year. By the time I can formally learn a language that I might use in later life, nobody is interested in programming. Alas, I must resort to websites such as this. Nothing can substitute a good teacher to look at your code beside you and tell you whats wrong.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Savage Reindeer @ Fri May 01, 2009 10:12 pm wrote:

er, I should say that he doesn't really know what he's doing. We spend an entire semester learning nothing but animation, and then move into other stuff in the second year. By the time I can formally learn a language that I might use in later life, nobody is interested in programming. Alas, I must resort to websites such as this. Nothing can substitute a good teacher to look at your code beside you and tell you whats wrong.[/quote]

I have no problem telling you what's wrong with code. Smile
Savage Reindeer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:37 pm   Post subject: RE:An observation on OOP exploration

Of course! But I learn better when I can personally call on someone and talk to him face to face.

Funny story here:

Today we were making a sort of calculator that took arguments from another file and used them to find our current marks (I should not that he never explained that is what it did, he just dictated). Anyway, mine wasn't working for whatever reason so I called my teacher over to help. After some looking at it he said "There is something wrong with it, make sure you fix that and hand it in working,"

No joke. He does that all the time. I figured it out eventually, much later.But I digress

I think I stole your topic. I agree with you, people who use their own time to teach themselves Turing need a good pat on the back. Its people like that who I can go to for help on my own personal projects. Thanks guys (and gals)!
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 am   Post subject: Re: RE:An observation on OOP exploration

Savage Reindeer @ Fri May 01, 2009 2:37 pm wrote:

Today we were making a sort of calculator that took arguments from another file and used them to find our current marks (I should not that he never explained that is what it did, he just dictated). Anyway, mine wasn't working for whatever reason so I called my teacher over to help. After some looking at it he said "There is something wrong with it, make sure you fix that and hand it in working,"

No joke. He does that all the time.

I do that all the time, too. A student comes to my office hours, flips open their laptop, and says their code doesn't work. They're not using one of the recommended editors and they're using the default six-point font. There are no comments in the code, the indentation isn't consistent, and there's no test suite. They want me to find their bug. That is not my job, and even if it was, it would probably take me ten or fifteen minutes, not just looking at their miserable code but actually working with it to make sense of it, partially rewriting it in the process. I usually have to say, "Write some directed tests," because in the minute or two I've spent looking at their code, I have garnered no idea of where the bug is. The problem is not their program. The problem is their approach.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: