Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A few questions
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tlivingston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:55 pm   Post subject: A few questions

I got a few questions and wondering if you could help me out.

First of all im building a website as a place for ppl i know who i am building computers for to go and get more information.

So my site is Metallic Surge and I was wondering if i could get some feedback on it.

Second of all, if you'll see in the quotes page I want to get it so that it automatically adds up as you select things and adds a +/- value at the end of each selection as you change the value. If you are going to say just use PHP or something this doesnt help. If you could take a look at the code and give some sample code that would be great.

Finally, how can I get it in quotes so that i can have a "Learn more" link for each component that will open a specific size (how do I open a new window of a specific size) with a description based on what they have selected.

Thanks SO much for all your help in advance,

PS If there are any good PHP tutorials that address my interests that would be great if you told me where they are/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

for it to automatically add up, you'd have to run a web-based app. Such new formats such as XML (I think Confused) and .ASP(Create webpage style applications in Visual Basic) are popular.

And since it does deal with forms, you'd need something to analyze it. PHP is ofcourse most popular, but even something like GUI could do.

It is naive to belive that you can build a successful website in Notepad alone.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
tlivingston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol. I know I cant do it all in notepad (well, dreamweaver), but telling me that DOESNT HELP! ahha. So if you could direct me to some tutorials or give me some sample code that would be sick. Thanks,

Ted
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nah xml wouldn't work here at all... xml is just meant as a means of communicating data... not a language in itself

if you want it to be real time updating then in most cases the closest you would probably get is refreshing the page... and as for detecting when they select something, you would need to use javascript...

on your radio button thing you would do something like onChange do changeTotalAndRefresh(thisPrice)

so I dunno the exact syntax.. but I know there's a javascript attribute that is like onChange or something like that... and then just write a function that adds some parameter (so the value that is added or subtracted) to your total and then refreshes the page
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well refreching at each selection can get VERY annoying, especially for those with slow connections.. got to keep that in mind.

So for real time, Java (not javascript... two completely different things) is required. Rizzix was nice enough to write an intro tutorial to Swing (Java's GUI), but if you don't know any Java, it will be tough. I sujest to just have something like "evaluate new total" button that refreshes the page when user wishes to.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, definately an update button would be easiest here.
tlivingston

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya...i think i could do a refresh button...but how would i reevalute the total? Would i use java scrit? Any sample code just of a sample page with like 2 items each with two options where u could refresh the page and the total would change at the bottom would be sick

Thanks,

Ted
HaVoC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[quote="tony"]for it to automatically add up, you'd have to run a web-based app. Such new formats such as XML (I think Confused) and .ASP(Create webpage style applications in Visual Basic) are popular.

And since it does deal with forms, you'd need something to analyze it. PHP is ofcourse most popular, but even something like GUI could do.

It is naive to belive that you can build a successful website in Notepad alone.[/quote]

Sad I do it in notepad....*kicks a stone* It's ok Mr.Notepad, he didn't mean it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Draemus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:

It is naive to belive that you can build a successful website in Notepad alone.

On the contrary, it's quite possible to build a successful website in Notepad alone - It's just a little bit more work. Before I got Dreamweaver I did all my stuff in Notepad. It was more work to test out the layout and see if it looked good (although you still need to do it because Dreamweaver isn't always accurate when using CSS positioning).

But yes, you could use PHP or Perl, but it's probably getting more complicated than you need. Since you're just giving a quote and not actually ordering it or anything, you can use Javascript to test each form field, and see which radio button is selected, then use an update button to calculate the total based on what button is pressed. I don't have any source code right now, but I've done something similar while reading a tutorial on webmonkey.com that explained it.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Draemus wrote:
But yes, you could use PHP or Perl, but it's probably getting more complicated than you need. Since you're just giving a quote and not actually ordering it or anything, you can use Javascript to test each form field, and see which radio button is selected, then use an update button to calculate the total based on what button is pressed. I don't have any source code right now, but I've done something similar while reading a tutorial on webmonkey.com that explained it.

Just remember, never trust anything on the client-side. Paranoia is the first rule of web development. If a user sends you data through a form on a website, don't trust it without doing validation on the server, where you control the environment.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: