Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Collage or Uni - for comp engineer...
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:10 pm   Post subject: Collage or Uni - for comp engineer...

which one is better to go to... collage or university to get into computer engineering?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good question...

general rule is that while universities are academic studies, collages are more hands on.

In other words, its more of a theory in university and more of hands on experience in collages.

I assume that in computer engineering you'd need a LOT of academic skills - designing new hardware and all (or atleast thats what I think:?)

Anyway - University of Waterloo looks afuly good. Not only will you be able to party with the rest of the gang (myself, Dan and a bunch more of cool people) but they got an awesome computer engineering program. Really tough to get in though. Like 95% average with a bunch of sciences Shocked
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

if you have a uber average and bothered with American History 11 then you could look into MIT
azndragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I plan to go to Waterloo, most likely into Software Engineering or something like that. The requirements are only a 90%, not 95%. 90% average is not that hard for me, and the school is also writing a letter of recommendation for me, since I have participated in the Enhanced Program. Co-Op sounds really nice, and I'm pretty sure I can get in Very Happy Too bad I'm only in Gr. 10, but my marks have not lowered since Gr. 9, so if I can keep up the trend, I'll do fine.
Vicous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

any good colleges? I don't have the grades to get into a university, what college should I look into

oh, and think 60% average (but good in math)
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Community College Twisted Evil
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Vicous, you should really pull your grades up...

anything un waterloo related should probably be asked from your school's quidance.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i think i'm gonna go for waterloo... but i'm only in grade 10, i wanted to keep my options open so i signed up for 2 maths Sad but i wanted to drop one because i have a shit load of other really hard courses... so the other math was just that much more... haha, i dont think you guys will still be ther by the time i apply so, who knows ?? Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

who knows... I'm just hoping that by the time me and Dan get to univerity, that we will find enough younger mods to replace us. I mean I can't answer ALL your questions.
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hahaha! i dont ask many questions... i just started turing this year, and i think i've come pretty far, consitering i've only been doing it for 1 month... Very Happy by the way, what grade are you and dan in? i thought you said you were in uni before .... Confused
azndragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Blade wrote:
yea i think i'm gonna go for waterloo... but i'm only in grade 10, i wanted to keep my options open so i signed up for 2 maths Sad but i wanted to drop one because i have a shit load of other really hard courses... so the other math was just that much more... haha, i dont think you guys will still be ther by the time i apply so, who knows ?? Very Happy

You only need one Gr. 11 math, and that's Functions and Relations. If you want to get into some sort of computer course in Waterloo, you MUST take Advanced Functions and Introductory Caculus AND Geometry & Discrete Mathematics in Gr. 12. Without those two, you have no chance in getting in Waterloo. You also need physics, chemistry for some comp courses, and Gr. 12 Comp Sci is compulsory. Yes, those are all hard courses, but what do you expect? You can't expect to get into one of the best universites in Ontario by taking all easy courses, did you? As for me, I meet all requirements, except for my marks, I plan to have my chemistry & physics, taking comp engineering and comp science till gr 12, my 2 Gr 12 maths, and that should cover it Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also if you cant get good grades in grade 12 some poleop do a year of colage and then try to get in to a univistey. this way can also be cheper if you care about cose. but persional i am going to waterloo after grade 12 if i can get in. probley for magjore compsci and minor in software eng.

i whode remomend unistrey for comp eng becuse it looks better to compays that whode whont to hire you and waterloo is the best school in canada for compsci stuff.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
azndragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan, what grade are you in, and how are your marks? Maybe I'll see you when I get there Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am in graed 11 now, my marks are ok i whode like them to be higher. but my compsci marks kick ass so i am not woried to much.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

azndragon wrote:
Blade wrote:

You only need one Gr. 11 math, and that's Functions and Relations. If you want to get into some sort of computer course in Waterloo, you MUST take Advanced Functions and Introductory Caculus AND Geometry & Discrete Mathematics in Gr. 12. Without those two, you have no chance in getting in Waterloo. You also need physics, chemistry for some comp courses, and Gr. 12 Comp Sci is compulsory. Yes, those are all hard courses, but what do you expect? You can't expect to get into one of the best universites in Ontario by taking all easy courses, did you? As for me, I meet all requirements, except for my marks, I plan to have my chemistry & physics, taking comp engineering and comp science till gr 12, my 2 Gr 12 maths, and that should cover it Very Happy

haha, i said i was taking 2 maths because i wanted to keep my options open, theres one course that i need for collage but cant get with university math in grade 12 that i need in grade 11... but i am taking physics and chemistry too... there's a lot of really hard courses i'm taking in grade 11... (2 maths, physics, chem, english, history) but i know i need them i've already talked to guidance... i wouldnt be aiming for waterloo comp sci if i was too stupid to even check out what i need
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: