Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Language choice and your reasoning behind it
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:10 pm   Post subject: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I'm always curious about these things, so let us know which programming language you chose, and why.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
S_Grimm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Java because I know it better than C++ and Turing.
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

First choice; assembler. As it matches the way I think.

Second was awk, SNOBOL then Icon. Powerful and easy to code file conversions and string ops make me happy. So this entry also includes a plethora of shells; DCL, sh, JCL...

Third was COBOL; Got the book, had to; code is easy to explain to pointy haired boss. Happy phboss, happy cubicleBert.

Fourth; Forth. Curiosity led to a 20 year gig. First, last and only totally immersive software development environment.

Fifth was C; Wanted to compile free stuff for the Vax, needed C; compiled a free C compiler, amazed the boss, and C amazed me in the breadth and depth of support and sheer volume of development applications.

Sixth; REBOL. Come ON! You gotta. Smile Really.

Seveth; All the others; Worth exploring, each and every one.

Given that; I'll probably hit the grave off by one and with expertise (the 10,000 hours kind, not particularly the "oh what a knowledgeable wise person" kind) in Forth, C, Programming Languages and hopefully REBOL and maybe COBOL. And, so you know, by expertise, I mean the "gee, I don't know squat" kind of wisdom. Wink

Cheers
syntax_error

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Java, shear size of library.Massive. Serly.

May change after I try coding in python, who knows?
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Well, I was specifically discussing choice of languages for the DWITE contest. Of the languages you mention, btiffin, only C is supported for DWITE. Smile
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Ooops; old guy bad. Should read the forum channel and not just the sidebar.

Excuse the interruption folks.

Cheers
DanielG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 am   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I use a combination of turing and C++, mostly turing, but if a problem requires some sorting or dfs or anything that the built in containers/stl algorithm library can help with than I use C++
A.J

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I mainly use turing for dwite, as I am much faster with it. But I also code in C++ (for contests like USACO, most of CCC, etc...)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

If I were actually eligible to participate, I would be using Ruby... I find it's just very natural to write code, and makes debugging a bit easier for me because I can read exactly what's going on as though it were plain English.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Well, Turing I have pretty well mastered. Don't even have to think about the syntax (which is good in a contest environment). As my comfort with other languages increases though this may change.
chili5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I like Java because of it's vast library. It's the only language that I've really focused on, but it is really great! Fairly simple for me to learn new concepts, and it works well for me in the contests. Smile
saltpro15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

this is borderline necroing, but I definitely like using Turing JUST FOR DWITE, the CCC is written in C++ for me, I'm only in gr10 so I know next to no Java, perhaps next year I will use it, its an OOP language correct?
chili5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:49 am   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Yes Java is an OO language. If you use C++, then Java shouldn't be all that difficult for you. Very Happy
nike52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=features&d2=020807
Roughly three quarters of TopCoder competitors use C++ in the arena.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

nike52 @ Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:35 am wrote:
http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=features&d2=020807
Roughly three quarters of TopCoder competitors use C++ in the arena.

Keep in mind that TopCoder does not provide a great deal of choice. C++ may win the popularity contest there, but it only had to compete against three other languages that are all fundamentally (almost) the same conceptually, and even syntactically very similar (with the exception of VB).
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: