Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 any jobs in future?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:29 am   Post subject: any jobs in future?

seems that the demend for programmers dropped quite a bit over the last few years.

On top of that, whatever jobs are left seems to be moving to other countries where it's cheaper to hire skilled labour. Like india. They get people from india (and there's a billion of them or so) "to be trained by the people who will lose their jobs because of the relocation."

Point is - india (and probably china) has a lot of people willing to work long hours for cheaper.

Anyone thinks they can land a job with their turing skillz Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it will pick up again eventually ... just be glad that you're in school when it's at its down point Razz
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i gave up the idea of becoming a computer engineer a long time ago, now i juss wanna get a ph.d and be a prof
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm, i know alot of indian programmers, and they are very good Very Happy
(i.e forum.hotscripts.com)
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

meh if i'd get into compsci.. i'd probably be an IITian.. correction make that an IIITian. nevertheless i'd prefer.. yep thats it.. applied physics! or maybe research on neural networking.. argh! i can't make up my mind.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
applied physics

heh, thats what I though (kind of).

Double major in computer science and physics and see if that would be of any use out there.

Probably the best job I could lend would be physics engine programmer for computer games 8) If that's not going to work out, I can always just teach compsci in some private highschool, or even a uni Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
Probably the best job I could lend would be physics engine programmer for computer games 8)

hey thats not a bad idea for a job.. well unless you mind teaching. it's something worth doing.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

teaching is something I'd do after retirement... Cant exactly do much on a teacher's salary (even in a private highschool). I'd much rether work with a team of interesting people on some kick ass game.

Mad "you know what Bob? I really think that coefficient of friction between the brick wall and slime goo from this new monster we're adding should be 0.90 instead of 0.80"

Laughing Or something like that. Game design, programming and physics... If that would earn me a six figure with benifits in Europe (english speaking country preferably), it would be a dream come true 8)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im looking at physics with a minor in comp sci.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm rolling my dice hoping that there will be jobs for programmers by the time I graduate ... I should have np getting into coop too which will be good for getting a job.

but some of those other jobs would be kinda cool if you're into that applied science type stuff.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey if you cant get a job progaming just teach somting till one opens up.

thous who cant do teach Twisted Evil
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if dan ever becomes a teacher, I hope he get a position that doesn't require alot of writing on board, or typing up assignment sheets...

Just think of those poor kids....
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont plan on teaching any time soon, alougth the idea of runeing poleops lifes dose sownd good.

but dan will probly end up living under his desk at a gaming comapy some where in Japan
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah dodge...I wanna be a professor too...computer science and AI or something fun like that. As far as getting jobs go, if you're good at programming you won't have too much trouble, it's the mediocore programmers that people don't want, b/c they are too expensive and don't get much done.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
I wanna be a professor too...

thats the plan Martin and I got. We staying in uni till we get out Ph.Ds then just teaching there Laughing Uni's the best time in life 8)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: