Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Time Travel
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Is time travel possible to some extent at least?
(No ending time set)
I think so.
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
I doubt it.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:56 pm   Post subject: Time Travel

I just felt like starting a debate on time travel. Do you think it's possible somewhere down the road? And if so, what is time anyway? Is it possible to travel forward and backward through time, or is time a one way street? All of this then brings up the issue of the chaos theory, that is...should one travel back or forward in time, could that cause some events to happen just because of your existance in another time? And then there's the whole 'if you go back in time and kill your mother, what happens to you' question.

Insights please.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I think you can travel back in time to a sertain extend, but not in a physical way... let me explain...

You know how it takes time for light to travel? And when we see a super nova in habble telescope, that this star in fact exploded centuries ago?

We could apply the same ideo to going back to view the past light that reflected off earth, since its out there somewhere. We just need to send a telescope powerful enough and fast enough (over the speed of light) to catch up with that reflection of earth.

Issues ofcourse are - travel of physical objects at speeds exceeding that of light in a vacume. Getting a telescope to capture enough details, lightyears away... and ofcourse finding that damn reflection out there in space, that was not blocked by an asteroid flying by.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I hated this part of physics last year just because I didn't agree with the theories... like the theory that it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. I mean what is there that is physically stopping this from happening if we were to develop the technology to produce enough energy to do so.
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there really is nothing to stop us....technology is expanding so quickly, there probably is not limit to how fast we can go, especially in the future
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, I mean there're things traveling as superluminal speeds (light pulse though caesium gas cell)

as for physical objects... I donno what they're talking about... In a true vacume, energy required to keep on accelerating, should be constant, reguardless of the vecolity at any instance since there's no drag.

In actual space though, a sand particle inpacting at lightspeed can cut right through your spaceship.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

especially without nethin like terminal velocity affecting it
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think time travel can happen

time travel to the future is simple enough, just travel very close to light speed or go very close to a very heavy object (eg. black hole) and wait a few seconds

time travel to the past would be a hell of a lot trickier.
I read a book on the time travel once (a physics book, "Time Travel in Einsteins universe") it presented a bunch of interesting theories such as supeluminal speeds, wormholes, cosmic strings,etc.

Causality is a whole other issue. In my opinion i would think that there are no branching paths or changing of the past. Just if u travelled back in time and punched ur self in the face, b4 u time travelled u'd remember ur self coming up and punching u in the face (crude but effective example Laughing )
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think not...and even if we did its kinda no use!
because if we travle back in time before we are born supose, you will not be existing..and you basically kill your self...

or before the mechine is created ;D, you will never be able to get back to the present cuz, it does not exist ;D
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer - you travel back WITH the machine...

well ether way... if one could travel back in time, obviously they would buy 50% of M$ shares before it is created, but then with all that extra money to begin with, Billy G. might have created something way different... perhaps better... Confused and we would all be running Linux now Laughing
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, yah amailer, mayb eu shuld go in that machine urself...its true...time travel can have its benefits and its cons......it just depends if ur really willing to risk some things sometimes
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok let's see.. go back in time.. thats not possible.. but, let's play along.. so even if it is possible, going back in time means what?

does it mean...
1) everything moves back to its previous state? If so, then going back in time would get you younger, until you don't exist.

2) only the environment around you changes to its previous state? If so then you're saying that you create a bubble around you, in which everything inside the bubble is at a fixed time period, but the environment changes. This means that time has stopped for you, while everything changes. So time does not exist once you're in the bubble. This means that for that period in time you do not exist, since time is another way of looking at change in position (i.e if nothing moved, no change, would there be time?). So then how do you suddenly get back in time, when you don't exist any more? Wierd?

3) you're in the bubble but time in the bubble continues as is (does not freeze), but outside the bubble everything changes to its previous state. So you acclerating at a remarkable fast rate forward in time? right? Then how will you ever get "back" in time? It's more like travelling forward in time!

WOW you'll never reach there!
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was about to start a new topic when i saw this thread... goto www.futureme.org to send an email to the future
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol.. that was funny.

send a mail to ur self for the year 2005.. then afterwards do something really bad to the their server.. that practically erases all data.. i'll predict the mail never reaching your future self
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm i sent an email to myself in 2009, 2015, and 2024 i think. i hope they still have this thing in 2024 Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you'd also hope you would still use your current email account 20 years in the future, wouldn't you?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 78 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: