Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shoutout box
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zeroth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:38 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

smithsan @ Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 pm wrote:
planning on using a shout box JavaScript is not the correct option. JavaScript is low level client side scripting, that really can't help you much other than form validation
-----------
smithsan
Paid Surveys

Wrong.
Javascript is not low level. Javascript is in fact considered a VHLL(Very High Level Language). The qualifications: full OO, functions as first class objects, anonymous functions, lambda, High level datastructures like hashtables are available as a basic data type(Map). Javascript is an incredibly powerful language that does far more than you think. However, its weak point is differing implementations(IE vs Firefox vs Opera vs Safari). Take a look at frameworks like say, jQuery, Dojo, Scriptaculous, Mootools... etc. They do some incredible, incredible stuff.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

I find it interesting how many people are so turned off by JavaScript because there are warnings everywhere that it shouldn't be trusted because it's client-side. JavaScript is simple, effective and most of all HERE TO STAY! While server-side scripting (PHP,Ruby,ASP) is the ideal way to securely execute code, it requires a page to reload and the server to run thru its process again (unless AJAX is used in which case it still demands server execution). JavaScript comes in handy when it comes to small, unobtrusive methods, like form validation and such. Can you imagine having to reload a new script every time just to make sure a user's email was entered properly?

JavaScript has a white flag over it because it is client-side scripting, but with the release of managed and regularly updated JS frameworks like Zeroth said, JavaScript just got a whole lot funner.

After looking into jQuery there's no way I can ever see myself coding another site without using a JS framework, where it's needed.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoutout box

smithsan, try not to resurrect half-year-old threads.
Lanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

I would like to point everyone to the 4th post made by jeffgreco13, specifically the underlined words

Quote:
if you're planning on using a shout box JavaScript is not the correct option. JavaScript is low level client side scripting, that really can't help you much other than form validation.]

Give me some info on the server you are using... find out if PHP is insalled, or even CGI support.

EDIT: Tony's referring to a "Form Handler" btw

okay, now lets compare to the post smithsan made in a dead thread

Quote:
planning on using a shout box JavaScript is not the correct option. JavaScript is low level client side scripting, that really can't help you much other than form validation

can we copy paste or what! Claping

Mod edit: Nice catch!
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: