Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Stop a Program From Starting Up
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
onehundredandtwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:38 pm   Post subject: Stop a Program From Starting Up

Hi all,

Is it possible to disable a program from starting up without using MSConfig (since I am not the Administrator).

Thanks,
OneHundredAndTwo.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Horus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Stop a Program From Starting Up

can u use registry editor?

or just delete the shortcut file if it's in startup
onehundredandtwo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Stop a Program From Starting Up

It's not in Startup it's in MSConfig, and I'm not sure what registry key I would have to edit. As a normal user I would not be able to edit the registry but I can create a program that edits the registry. Anybody got a clue?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Stop a Program From Starting Up

What program are you preventing from running?
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Stop a Program From Starting Up

I'd be willing to bet he's trying to get rid of LanSchool/NetSupport/various other names implying teacher-used applications to spy/take-over your computer at school.

That's why he can't use MSConfig, it's not in Startup, and he doesn't have the registry key.
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Stop a Program From Starting Up

use the task manager... if it is at school be sneaky and unplug the network cable while logging on, or if a teacher is trying to connect...same story...if it is wireless you are screwed
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Stop a Program From Starting Up

Sigh . . . don't you realize that the people who created this did it so kid's couldn't escape, ecookman. The task manager can't access those processes (they're restricted). And unplugging network cables won't work. If you meant your own, what are you talking about? Then you can't play LAN games, log on or go on the internet.
So I assume you meant the teacher's ethernet cable. Yeah, too bad they can just plug it back in.

@ onehundredandtwo : you're going to need an application download-able off the net or find someone's code for a java program that will do it.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: