Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
alex.john95

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I also think that u can learn Java.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

What do you mean by "i also think you can learn java"?
Do you mean you can learn Java of as a programming language? :S
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I also think that you can learn English, and how to not spam with pointless comments Smile
dc116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I heard Java is really hard so I'm sticking to the easier ones for now. Laughing
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

All right! Thread revival!

dc116, Java isn't hard, it's just a pain in the arse, with its ridiculous method names and you-can-only-do-it-this-way style of programming. Try out Perl (very flexible and damn good fun) for a procedural language or Ruby for OOP (those being the only languages in which I have any experience at all besides Turing and Java).
Aziz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Or Python...

Java can be what you make it - don't let extremists hold you back from doing something. It's just there's usually a reason to it, even if the reason is more complicated than you need to understand at that point.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Java is a lowest common denominator language. It's reasonably straightforward, honestly, and for the intelligent programmer who has some knowledge of object-oriented programming, the learning curve is fairly short, but once you do learn it...

It doesn't really reward further learning by making things easier.
Dragoonh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Hey just randomly poping this out here I want to try programming out to see if I like it and if I do I plan on going into something like the gaming industry which language should I learn?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Didn't you read the post and the 7 pages of documents?

I'd suggest, Python.
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Dragoonh @ Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm wrote:
Hey just randomly poping this out here I want to try programming out to see if I like it and if I do I plan on going into something like the gaming industry which language should I learn?

To tinker with game programming, I'd suggest Flash, Squeak or Scratch. Flash may actually get you sales or a job. The Smalltalks maybe not so much, but game programming is a lot more about game theory and the kind of creativity that attracts people than coding in a particular language.

A professional shop will likely ask for a fairly solid grasp of C++, but in reality, they'll be using highly sophisticated and less than mainstream toolkits. Bare metal programming is likely a very small chunk of the efforts in most of today's high end games.

For small games, Flash is great way to start and get noticed.

Perhaps take a kick at Inform-7. Write a text-adventure game. If you are creative, a few pages of writing and you'll get a good feel if people may like the games you are likely to produce. Anyone else reading this; Inform-7 is the height and epitome of Natural Language compiler design, in my humble opinion. Worthy of a look if you care about such things.

Cheers
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

You're promoting that again, b? I cannot comprhend it, there are no 1's and 0's. Can I make an endless loop, though? Memory leak?
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Aziz @ Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm wrote:
You're promoting that again, b? I cannot comprhend it, there are no 1's and 0's. Can I make an endless loop, though? Memory leak?

Sure; drop down to Inform-6 Wink http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/doc412.html

Cheers
ashtonfarell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 am   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Hey wtd
if you are beginner in programming language then you should prefer to teach C and C++. This is basic language which helps you to be a small programmer. then you should try to learn any web developing language like ASP.net and PHP. These both language are now good in market.
SmokeMonster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 am   Post subject: Re: Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I'm thinking of learning another language in the next month before school starts again but I can't seem to decide upon one. I always wanted to learn a pure functional programming language (since right now I've mostly worked with C, Java & Ruby) so I was considering Clojure but Scala sounds really tempting considering all the hype around it. Which one should I pick?
apython1992

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:08 am   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Yay functional programming! I've learned a little bit of Haskell (not enough time to _really_ learn it) and I love the paradigm. I can see why people think it's too academic though. Scala is actually used industrially, which makes it rather tempting to learn. Given that you have only a month (I'm assuming you won't have much time when school starts), it might be unreasonable to learn a language like Haskell. How well do you know Ruby? It has support for functional programming concepts, and if you know it well enough you might have an easier time. You really must understand Lambda calculus to get functional programming, so that's a great place to start if you feel like learning a bit of more formal math.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 7 of 8  [ 111 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: