Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
implosion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Okay, i got a question. you said if you have an 80+ average that you don't need to be stressing about getting in and that you have a good chance of getting in ?

I'm thinking of going to McMaster for engineering since it has a general first year. The admission for it is 80% - 82%. Right now i have Chem: 77 Adv. Functions 77 Physics: 70. I'm pretty confident that i can bring my math and chemistry mark to 80% and physics to at least 75. Although, McMaster only wants Calculus, Chemistry, Physics and English +2 others (CS + CE). McMaster accepts 820 students. I figure i can pull off a 79% average (aiming to do better) but should i be concerned ?

On another note, when i was on the campus tour for McMaster they said since engineering is general first year i could have a class size of ~ 600. I really like the high school atmosphere of not having a 1 way lecture and having the class interact and class sizes <100. I think I'm a slow learner; it takes me some time to learn the concepts. For first year engineering how hard would the courses be? Oh and are tutorials mandatory to go to ? (i do plan to go to them).

Oh and for the first year general engineering do you know how it would work (Anyone) from what i've heard at UofT they have a class or something that they teach you an introduction to each of the core 8 engineering programs.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

implosion @ Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm wrote:
I figure i can pull off a 79% average (aiming to do better) but should i be concerned ?

Just be realistic. Do apply to McMaster, but consider other schools as well. It sounds like you might enjoy yourself more in a smaller classroom, so there might be another school that's a better match to you.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
implosion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Tony wrote:

implosion @ Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm wrote:
I figure i can pull off a 79% average (aiming to do better) but should i be concerned ?

Just be realistic. Do apply to McMaster, but consider other schools as well.

Yeah i am applying to other universities as well, Toronto(low to mid 80s class size 150 [Track One]) and Waterloo(Individual selection from mid 80s.. class size 120 i believe.), although i'm not sure if i should even try waterloo.

One of my main concerns is that i don't know what field i want to go into; Computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or mechatronic engineering.
Horus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

I know a friend in RL who's 1 year older than me, last year he applied for computer engineer in waterloo, toronto and mcmaster with a 83% avg. In the end he got rejected from both waterloo and toronto and made it into Mcmaster. I'm not so sure about the specific detail of what's each of his mark, and his other extra curriculum activities but he wouldn't really tell me.
Roman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

While it's hard to make a decision, it's also not the end of the world if you make a "wrong" (in quotations) decision. University isn't limited to the study of a particular field, such as CS, and especially not in Undergrad. It's as much, if not more, about growing yourself, learning to learn, sticking with something or other for four consecutive years and gathering life experience that will help you transition from youth to adulthood. I personally am interested in Film just as much, if not more, than in CS, but I decided to go to Math/CS regardless because in the context of university it seemed like a more interesting choice. Your future isn't and shouldn't be restricted by the degree you select when you're 17 =]

I totally agree with the no-stressing-out proposition. It brings no benefit and is energy better spent doing something about your problem. Like studying for the upcoming Exams Very Happy
implosion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 am   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Hey i was wondering if you guys could make a suggestion for me, like i've said like 100 times before i can't decide between: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering and Software engineering. I enjoy to program (though i'm not very good at it), and i enjoyed using the bread boards last year during CE. I want to do something that involves programming and hardware (not sure what kind of hardware, ipod maybe?) also working with robots i think would be neat too. I like playing video games (who doesn't) and think it'd be cool to work with stuff like that. I've read for computer engineering that its low level coding, could someone expand on that ? Oh and how much do you think it would affect my chance to get in if i put on a form that i got the computer science award in gr. 11 ? As well what sorts of jobs fit in with Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering and Software engineering?
Zeroth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 am   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Go into either robotics, or system development. Both are close to the hardware.
implosion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

i couldn't find anything for robotics on electronic info, so i'm guessing mechatronics ? :S... i was wondering. is there anyway to apply to a university without applying to all the fields ? ex. applyng to waterloo for computer engineering, software engineering, computer science. I want to apply to UofT, Waterloo, McMaster to all these fields.. hopeing by mayish i figure out what i want to do with my life... but i don't want to spend 35$ each for each additional selection. I heard there was away to put down more on the OUAC or something.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Nope, you have to choose those programs you most want to go to. Everything else you have to apply for, or hope for an alternate offer from the university or some such.
Segmentation Fault

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

@Horus - It is not the end of the world if you don't get into Waterloo. Waterloo grads may have a few extra opportunities but if you're good at what you do and you can manage an interview you will have a successful career... if that's what you're worried about.
yoursecretninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm   Post subject: Re: Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Quote:
@Horus - It is not the end of the world if you don't get into Waterloo. Waterloo grads may have a few extra opportunities but if you're good at what you do and you can manage an interview you will have a successful career... if that's what you're worried about.

I'll second that. It really doesn't matter a whole lot where you go to school. What matters is what you learn and what you do with it. Mind you, I didn't go to school for computer science nor do I work in the field - though I am going to go back to school for CS. Still, I went to a local community college for business and have had two great jobs in marketing since I graduated. I didn't rely on where I went to school to get a job. I studied hard, I worked on practical projects and I joined school clubs. After school, I continued to study, work hard and join local business clubs/groups. I built a portfolio and a network and used these to get ahead. Where I went to school is secondary.

So my advice... definitely go to school, but don't fret so much about where you are getting your education. Just make sure that when you get there (wherever that may be) that you work hard, apply yourself, make friends and connections, and learn how to learn, socialize and network. Build a portfolio of projects you have worked on and demonstrate their practicality and return on investment. Build a network - that's key to finding a good job. A lot of people feel entitled to a good job because they got a degree from this or that institution. But the fact of the matter is there are a lot of smart, talented and personable individuals out there competing for a job - your degree means little in the overall context of things - it's who you become as a person, what you can do and who you know that matters; and you can excel in those areas pretty much anywhere as its you who makes that happen.

Cheers!
ghostanime2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

what if u went to a good/well respected university because from observing and socializing the graduated students there they developed an excellent personality and also built a strong foundation for their careers. So would going to an exceptionally academic university also mean bringing out the best personality out of you and at the same time using that to become "successful"
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 am   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

My plans are finishing gr12, 1 extra class during summer school or perhaps a sem of gr13, though I'd prefer not to. And hopefully Waterloo after that (just because it's the closest, I'm not a fan boy Very Happy), I've heard great things about the co-op CS program, anyone have any experience in it?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

Yes, I'm currently in co-op CS at UWaterloo. It's great - the jobs are generally interesting, in your chosen field, and pay well. Job interviews are usually conducted on-campus (those that aren't are within a quick walking distance or are via phone).

There are downsides, but they're relatively minor compared to the job hunt. These include: you pay an extra $500 per term in co-op fees (which pays for them to liaison with employers and so on), and you have to do the Professional Development courses (you need to do 4 of the 7 courses to graduate) and you need to complete 4 work term reports.
petree08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down.

I've noticed that there hasn't been any mention of college in this thread. I got accepted last week to all 5 schools I applied to (marks were deffinaly not stellar) decided to go with Computer Programing Analysis program (say that 10 times fast) at Fanshawe College in London, 3 year course, has a job placement/co-op later on,

point is there are still good opportunities if you can't get in to University,
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: