Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Liberal Party Takes Ontario
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
poly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
And while im on the topic of money, dowa anyone else ever consider what the workd would be like without money?

Like what is it? it is something that everyone 'needs' to survive. Its just paper and metal. If money were abolished, the world would be a better place. If things were free to everyone, would the world collapse? I think not. I think that everything would change.

I agree with what AsianSensation said basically. But I would too like to quote on this quote. If there were no money and everything was free people would not work because in most minds we'd think "Hey why work is everything is free!?" well than nothing is being produced so wham bam, the world doesn't work
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that is exactly what I was going to say poly ... nobody would want to do the hard jobs or anything, because they would look at their neighbour who doesn't do anything and they have the same stuff. although it is something I have thought of in the past, "what if there was no money". but the world would just not work, nothing would get done, then there would be nothing to support life. but this also makes you think of back in the pioneering days when each family looked after their own. money was much less significant because people didn't have to buy as much, they looked after themselves. this also makes me think of some native type social structures, which from what little I know about them are based on respect for a ruling group of elders. I think that really it's possible to function without money on a small level (think of families... you don't like buy a snack from your parents), but I don't think it could ever work on a global level.

o yeah, for those still talking about the amount of money for health care, I said in my post that the PCs were going to be putting 28 BILLION - 1 HALF OF THE TOTAL BUDGET to health care. 3 billion invested to our economy is next to nothing compared to 28 billion.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Please stay on topic, if you want to continue on this debate, please make a new thread. Thanks.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it's still politics, so let them continue 8)

as for my opinion - money is a measurment of your contribution to the wellbeing of the world. The more goods/services you prodive, the more you can get from others. Money can be replaced by an universal credit system which is essensially the same thing, just different name.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, it turned out I was discussing the point of money in the world with my friend, and she said how that even if money was abolished, people will still use other methods of trading values, so that even if money was not tecnically invented, people could still use chickens to count values.

From there, the conversation got out of control in which we attempted to list out the many possiblities and benefits of having chickens as our monetary system.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think that a worald with out money or curencey could work BUT there whould need to be a way to rewared poleop who worked harder then others, but it whould not matter what they did as long it was help the worald. (ex. some one who worked hard at being a grabage man could get lots of stuff or what ever as long as he wroked harde at what he dose)
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Life without money wouldn't work. People need to be able to get ahead of other people, and money presents itself as a way for one to show ones social status in the world. Without money, everyone would have to be treated as equal. And what about work? Who gets to be the garbage men, and who gets to be the computer programmers, and who decides that? And because the standard of living is so low in most places around the world, to balance things out we would end up having to lower our own standard of living to compensate. Also, what about where to live? I for one would prefer Hawaii over Windsor, and I'm sure that many people would have the same line of thought. Money presents itself as a way of control for people. Laziness would be another problem of a moneyless society...someone who did no work would get the same oppertunities. And without money, there could be nobody to judge who was holding up their share in the world.

A system like this does exist, at least in theory. It has caused numerous people to be oppressed and killed. It's called communism.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you know the idea of communism in it's self is not bad. just when you have communism with a poor govement or one the gets croped it gose realy wrong.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Communism in theory would be the best form of government, however it would require no laziness and no desire, which is impossible in the society so driven by success and sexuality.
Corybu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I agree that communism is an good idea, and if it could be properly exceuted, the communist country would be very desirable. In a democracy, there can be no equality. Rich people will have power, and poor people will suffer. With properly executed comminism, everyone could be equal.

And about the whole not working if money didnt exist: I think that people would realize that "Even though Im not getting paid, if I dont work, ____ wont get made/sold etc" people would realize that they still need to work to create these goods/services.

And about who gets to be garbageman and who gets to be programmer?
There are people who like to be garbage men, and there are people who like to be programmers. just like there are people who like to sell shoes, and people who like to clean septic tanks. There would be somone to fill every job. and I think that people would still do their jobs even if there was no money.

It may not work right now, but im sure if the general public had this option available to them, they would embrace it.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm a catholic. From my point of view of comunism, i don't think i like it at all. Hold on there don't get offended (who ever, why would you anyways), it's just my point of view. I find it an atheistic practice, and thats what i would call foolish. there are a lot of faults in communism, but i wouldn't like to debate on it. i hate debates in general, unless i actually have the time to do so.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Rizzix has brought up an interesting point, in that in a communist society, there can be no god because that would represent a figure above everyone else, and therefor something to aspire to.

I personally think that a benevolent dictatorship would be a good form of government, so long as it remained relitively free of corruption. That way, it would be kinda like our government, only it would get way more stuff accomplished.
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If the goverment doesn't allow me to follow my religion i hate it Very Happy
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if dalton did that, he get his ass whopped bad Very Happy there so many religious ppl in toronto u that once u ban religion ur doomed
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a bit off topic here (still politics though)...

could someone send me a copy of party platform for Liberals? Or better yet a project on Ontario election Wink I've got it due in 2 days and I haven't started yet. I do have platforms for PCs and NDPs though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: