Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 MSN maintenance?!
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:39 am   Post subject: MSN maintenance?!

Today I was on MSN at 1:47 am (no, I do not sleep) and a bunch of pop-ups came, supposedly from msn saying that they were doing something MSN maintainance and that MSN Service would be shut down in 15 minutes. This seems kinda sneaky of Micro$oft, but that could just be my paranoia. Anyone know anything of this?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea, I got about 4 of them, and decided to just log off. Its all good. They just need to update something. (Maybe we get Animated custom emoticons!!! Ooooooo)

Its all good though.

Im assuming yuore on Win XP, and using MSN6?
Blade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i used to get them all the time... it really isnt anything... they just shut down for 1/4 of a millenium..
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright...yeah, Windows XP, MSN6...I was just worried because I couldn't find anything about it on micro$oft's website, or the messenger website.
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Theyre just like "Suprise! Without warning we will send you annoying popups!!! Wooohoo!" and then they shut down MSN. bastards...

I dont know what they changed.... oh well.

I got back on about 15 mins after they shut down.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

there probly adding new and better spyware Evil or Very Mad

or making it so poleop cant get ride of the adds at btom with hacks. got to be somting evil with M$ they cant do anything right.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Messenger has spyware?

I didnt know that....

Im assuming it doesnt need that spyware to run then? I removed all of the spyware/adware on my comp (Using Ad-aware 6). Kazaa didnt run anymore, but thats nothing new, so I deleted that, and got lite, and im spyware free for now, I believe.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, dont belive anything Dan says about M$ Rolling Eyes

But I did hear a while back that they were gonna upgrade servers to block 3rd party programs to using their network for messaging. And with M$ shutting down their chatrooms in 2 weeks and telling people to use MSN instead... I donno... it can be a lot of things.

As long as it's up and running now, it's all good
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

something fishy is going on at ms. There apparently talking about buying out google. That cant be good. All the searches will be pro microsoft...

And google is free, so what does microsoft stand to gain by buying it...?

Somethings fishy... and it isnt fish....
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well actually google is making tons of money. It being the biggest and mos popular search place around, makes big cash from sponsored links you see on the very top and sides of the search results.

But yeah - M$ buying out google? That's just not right...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I meant its free to use.

If microsoft buys it... could they charge to use it?

more importantly, would they?

its bad news either way. If they buy google, whats to stop them from buying the other major search engines? (Yahoo/Altavista etc.)

I dont like it.... What would Microsoft need with google anyways?

It would be a source of revinue with all the banners, yes, but wouldnt they just change all the banners to show all microsoft products? and who clicks on banners anyways?
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Corybu wrote:
What would Microsoft need with google anyways

have you ever tryed the msn sreach, lol.

and about that spy ware they do got somting like that in there but you can turn it off in the options. i think they call it "Customer Experience Improvment Program".
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh! That thing!

Thats not really spyware, its completly voluntary, they dont hide it, or make it so MSN wont run without it. Its totally voluntary, whereas you cant really say wether or not you want spyware.

Its similar though.
octopi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's not unusual for people to get those messages.
It just means msn needs to shutdown there servers, and restart them with the latest software. (All server side) You won't notice anything usually, but things like your name, and other stuff can get affected. (like which words msn considers swear words.) Its mostly just small stuff. but sometimes like tony said they could be adding in a whole new protocol side by side with the current one.
Corybu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They could have changed alot of things that you wont know about untill they release the new version, and you can read the "update history" or whatever its called.

Chances are it may be the swear filter, or maybe it was a security fault, who knows?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: