Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Liberal Party Takes Ontario
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:05 pm   Post subject: Liberal Party Takes Ontario

Liberal Party just got a majority goverment in ontario!

lets hope this is a good thing for education and more spending on need progames like computer sinces Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya they did!
voting (of some thing to do witht he goverment) was in my school also Confused
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

our votes don't actually count, but oh well, we are all potential voters in 4 years, so they better listen to us now...
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh ya that kid vote thing was cool.

here are the relostes for kids vote:

PC - 0 seats Twisted Evil
LIB - 93 seats
GREEN - 1 seat
NDP - 9 seats

to bad thous dont count in the real thing, but i think thous results are very intresting. think of what deabting whould be like with thous seats, lol.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
naoki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm a lazy bastard so i'm not gonna find out about the politicians on my own free time (thousands of "hell yeahs!" are heard around Canada) so if those people really give a damn about us teens voting properly then they should take some of our school time (preferably during chemistry) and educate us with some nice slideshows

and not after school, cuz we've got enough to do without sitting through a 3 hour debate. remember folks, teenagers aren't equipped with patience
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it's too bad that pc didn't remain in power Sad ... my theory about why the liberals won the "kid vote" thing is that they're all just pissed off because the pc changed our education system... over all made it better, except for the marking scheme ... but the curriculum is much more challenging and plus you finish in 4 years rather than 5
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

PaddyLong wrote:
it's too bad that pc didn't remain in power Sad ... my theory about why the liberals won the "kid vote" thing is that they're all just pissed off because the pc changed our education system... over all made it better, except for the marking scheme ... but the curriculum is much more challenging and plus you finish in 4 years rather than 5

you are sooooooooooooo wrong, but i dont whont to turn this topic in to a debate so i will leave it at that.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the fact that Earny Eves (PC) is twice the age of Dalton McGuinty (Liberals) might have had a lot to do with teen votes.

Btw, PCs have cut SOO much from education... You know why highschool is 4 years instead of 5 now? Cuz it costs less Laughing

Liberals are going to put money back in education and health care. I've heard they're going to try to lower university tuitions too Surprised
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Corybu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
I've heard they're going to try to lower university tuitions too Surprised

What about college?

And are they going to raise minimum wage, like they said?

Government officals say they will do alot of things, but I hardly see anything to benefit us happen.

Yea, we got a new, challenging curriculum. the teachers are learning this with us though. You cant ask for extra help if they dont know what they are teaching yet.

Good idea, bad implementation. It should have started in kindergarden, and progressed every year frmo there. Then the kids wouldnt get thrown into this new curriculum, they would have been put in it like we were put in the old one. They would have not noticed a huge leap in the curriculum.
(it was basically like skipping a grade).

Our education is screwed, and out healthcare is too. I sat in an emergency room about 4 years ago, and I was bleeding bad (cut my thumb off) and I almost passed out before I could get in, while 4 or 5 people with a cold went in before me.

Yes, I cut my thumb off... If you want to know how, just ask. its not important enough to describe here.

We need a government official to do something for us. Not to help the economy. Yes, canada is in debt, but theres not a damn thing we can do about it. We need a change, and hopefully the new liberal party can start some change.
poly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

when he said "universities" that does also include colleges, but it's not like College is a big hefty price like university is.

Also I was actually hoping and I knew that Liberals would take it. Look at the past 8 year...Health care and education have been a total mess in my opinion.

What is up with the PC giving corperations 3 billion was it? Sure it will help raise our economy up a bit, but you won't see results for a bit, what the PC's should have been worrying is taking that 3 billion and breaking it up and putting it back in health care and education. I say we take out our problems before worring about throwing money around.

Ooops didn't realize my last point was similiar to Corybu last point...Oh well!
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

another thing about liberals, they don't support that private school tax return thingie (don't recall the exact name). See most people that sends their kids to private school, gets a tax return because when they pay tax, part of that goes into the public school system, and since their kids aren't using it, they get that money back. This causes segregation between the rich and poor.

Liberals support the no tax return policy, they believe that since these people live in Ontario, they should rightfully pay tax for the education system, doesn't matter if their kids go into private or public schools.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

actually you're wrong about the college/university tuitions... it's the PCs that want to put the cap on it for most programs, although some programs like medical programs and others wouldn't have the cap because they're more expensive to deliver and also people in such fields would be able to pay off debts easier after graduation... the liberals want to leave it as a private thing...

"We need a government official to do something for us. Not to help the economy. Yes, canada is in debt, but theres not a damn thing we can do about it. "
....uhh helping our economy is doing A LOT for us .... without a strong economy the country will crumble ... private taxes will go up because there won't be the money generated from the economy to pay for things like health care and education... it's called planning ahead... think of the 3 billion or whatever he was going to give to the corporations as an investment... instead of spending all the money right away for short term gain, the PCs want to invest it in a sound economy for the long term

as far as health care goes... the PCs have budgeted 28 billion - half of Ontario's total budget - for health care. but the health care issue is not just provincial... it's not just Ontario having issues with health care funding... it's because the federal government (liberals...) are not giving enough to the provinces for health care.

education... well the liberals big thing for that is "smaller class sizes" which would require more teachers, bigger schools, etc which would cost far more than it would be worth... having 10 less students in a class likely wouldn't benefit them enough for it to be worth paying all that extra money for more teachers and larger schools. plus with the costs of having smaller classes you can bet that the overall quality of each of those classes would go down (think of all the extra supplies that would be required.. especially in the lower grades)
poly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
private school tax return thingie

well I agree to everything you have said for that. Except Im waiting for somebody to say.... If these people can afford to send there children to private schools Im pretty sure they can afford there taxes.
Corybu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think that if the government didnt spend its money where it isnt needed (why 3billion to corporations? 3 BILLION. Thats a hell of alot of money.) and invested it in our future (healthcare, education, extra curricular activities etc) then their money would be better spent.

And while im on the topic of money, dowa anyone else ever consider what the workd would be like without money?

Like what is it? it is something that everyone 'needs' to survive. Its just paper and metal. If money were abolished, the world would be a better place. If things were free to everyone, would the world collapse? I think not. I think that everything would change.

Theft would be nonexistant. Why steal something you can have for free?

poor people wouldnt be poor because the definition of being poor (in terms of wealth) is having no money. If money is nonexistant, they wouldnt be poor.

I think that society as a whole could function much better. the world could flourish. 3rd world countries could thrive and become great societies, people wouldnt die in the streets because they dont have money for healthcare, children wouldnt go hungry because their parents cant afford food. people wouldnt have to get stuck in dead end jobs because they were worried about the money, you could find your perfect job, and do it.

Think about your parents, if they had a bad day at work, they brought home misery and depression, right? but if they had a good day, the family was perfect that night. If you love your job, and enjoy it, chances are, you will go home happy, and your family life would be great.

not stressing over money and bills and everything would be amazing. you could just live your life, and not be bound by money, or lack thereof.

So, government spending is rediculus, because we dont even need money. but untill we can have this perfect world, we hae to make due with our lousy government making deisions that will forever change our lives.

Remember, they decide your fate. Imagine they did give 3 billion dollars to corporations, and not to hospitals. Now imagine that you get hit by a car, and are bleeding internally, and go to the hospital and say to you, "Im sorry, we dont have another bed for you." they dont have that bed because they cant afford the space, the power, the staff, or the medicine to give to the person in that bed. The government took your bed, and possibly your life. Still think they should give money to corporations instead of hospitals? I hope not.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Corybu, those ideas about the no money in the world...that was what communism was based on, where everyone was equal, and no one is above another person.

It's all great and all, but you got to ask yourself, is it practical? Look how Russia turned out, and look at North Korea, China. These countries were all communist countries, but look at them now, apart from China, which is almost capitalist anyways (with all the companies and plants manufacturing stuff for oversea, they are like capitalist, China only keeps a communist front), the other countries aren't doing so well. North Korea is still having tension with South Korea.

Those ideas are perfectly fine, but they will never get carried out. Besides, money is a method of communication, it is now even incorporated into our morals, linking money to greed and whatnot. Getting rid of money is pointless, it will only bring unwanted turmoil. And the fact that the 3 billion spent into corporations, I say that was prudent, for a country cannot function well without a strong economical backbone. I mean, think about it, where else could those 3 million dollars go? If you put them into education, without a strong economy, how can you support education? All those materials, like furniture, lighting and even chalk, they are all industrial products. Then what about Healthcare? But then again, all the equpiment are industrial and the training are education-wise. So giveing corporate 3 billion is worth it.

Like PaddyLong said, think of it as an investment.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: