Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is there a way to block webpages?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:19 pm   Post subject: Is there a way to block webpages?

Like the title says, can I run a program (any) that will either :
A) permanently block/lock a certain webpage
B) can be turned off blocking/locking of a certain webpage
?
Wondering to make some idiot stop belting out youtube videos - figured when they want me to help them, I'll just block youtube.

In any programming language, or any applications - for the above reason and more - I was wondering if somebody knows a way to do this.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

add the domain name to /etc/hosts with an IP that doesn't exist - or one you know doesn't have a server running.
Pockets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

You've got a couple options. Adblock Plus, a firefox add-on, blocks content within pages as well as ads. It will also block embedded youtube videos if you set up a filter.

Your other option is to edit your hosts table. It's found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, under a file named 'hosts' (with no extension). Open it in notepad and add the following:

127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com
HellblazerX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

Sounds like you need one of those parental control programs? There's a lot of such add-ons for firefox, if that's the browser you're using.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

thanx everyone, but Pockets looks the closest to what I'm looking for.

Hey pockets,
will that block all web-browsers? and will any website name in the place of youtube ban it?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

what it does is that it redirects all requests to youtube.com to localhost instead.

This is browser independent.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

how come it only works for certain sites. For instance, if I signed into www.deviantart.com, and try to block the settings page with the URL :
http://my.deviantart.com/settings/browsing
how come it doesn't work like that? And is there a way to still block it?
andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

I think you have to set it to just:
127.0.0.1 my.deviantart.com
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

yeah, that probably would work but I was hoping to narrow it down to the browsing settings, as other things on mydeviantart I want to be able to use . . .

oh,well if no one can answer this at least I got my youtube blocker.
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

Just about any router out there can block certain web pages to all or some IP addresses on your network. This of course assumes that you have a router.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

If this is a school computer you are talking about you could poteiontaly get in to alot of trouble for editing the settings to block out web pages.

Realy it should be the teacher stoping there students from playing youtube videos out loud in class and distrubing other students.

I think this is one of thos problems that does not need a tehcnological soultion but a social one.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

rdrake - yeah, I've got a router but I guess it's not worth it. I'll live with blocking entire parts of websites - Pockets' way.

Dan - I understand your message and agree. This is just for something else, I'll be sure to OK it with students and teachers first. The youtube was an example.
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

Another path;

google kiosk mode

kiosk mode is supported by most browsers, details will vary for each.

Cheers
Edit; typo
unoho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

it might sounds so basic but here is a way:

on your IE 7 or 6, go to tools > internet option

under the content tab, click on enable.. under the content advisor. then click on approved sites tab. after that type in the name or url you want to block

for example... www.youtube.com/blahblahblah/12453 something like that

then click on never.

not sure how to do it in firefox cuz nvr had to block any site in firefox. but i think there are some addons for firefox

hope it helps =)
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Is there a way to block webpages?

I think it needs to be established as to at what level of access the block needs to be made.

Telling a person to change the setting in their tool is not that far off from telling the same person to refrain from going to a particular website.

There are certain applications and add-ons that slightly raise a barrier to help the person control their distractions, but they are only useful to assist with productivity, not enforce it.

Editing the host file is enforcement by obfuscation -- typical users are not familiar with system settings. Router level filtering is defeated through proxy. While your block needs only be slightly more technologically complex as the ability of one who will attempt to circumvent it; I'd have to side with Dan -- this sounds more like a social problem.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: