Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Point of Sales Program
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MIdas0036

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm   Post subject: Point of Sales Program

I am making a point of sales system for a home base company that my friend owns i have only one problem i can't for the life of me remember how to make a program save to a file if anyone knows how they are welcome to look at the program to see if they can make it save that would be a big help Very Happy

Point of Sales.zip
 Description:
all information in the order list, price, tender amount and change needs to be saved

Download
 Filename:  Point of Sales.zip
 Filesize:  3.85 KB
 Downloaded:  400 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am   Post subject: RE:Point of Sales Program

Okay, a few problems here:

1. Go use Google. If you're such a beginner that you can't look it up yourself, there's a good chance you shouldn't be coding as a job just yet. Not to discourage you - just to discourage writing code for important systems before you know exactly what you're doing.

2. Good systems will generally use a database (a way of saving information without manually writing to some file). They also provide a lot of additional things, like increased speed, data integrity, and protection against information loss.
What happens to your program if the power goes out? (You'd lose data if you weren't running a database)
What happens if the CPU overheats and the system off instantly? (You'd lose data if you weren't running a database)
What happens when the listed customer for a transaction suddenly doesn't seem to point to any known customers? (With a database, you have data integrity)

Though to answer your actual question, try this: Google Search for visual basic file i/o
MIdas0036

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Point of Sales Program

i only need the code to save parts of a file, i dont need a database, and i am not a beginner
TheFerret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Point of Sales Program

Google is your friend and also in this type of system, a DB is way better than file output as stated above and in a professional environment, no one would buy a system that saves data to a file...
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:24 am   Post subject: Re: Point of Sales Program

Well, VB is not my expertise - it's been a looong time since I opened the VB 1.0 books.

There is
pretend:
open file for output as #thingy
print #thingy, stuff$
write #thingy, stuff$

open file for binary as #bin
get #bin, var
put #bin, var
seek #bin, number
loc(#bin)

input #thingy, var
line input #thingy, var

There are other new funky 3rd millennium ways in more recent VBs I'd assume, and to be honest I had to put the syntax as pretend, because I could be dead wrong.

Cheers
macklorinjd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Point of Sales Program

DemonWasp @ Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am wrote:
Okay, a few problems here:

1. Go use Google. If you're such a beginner that you can't look it up yourself, there's a good chance you shouldn't be coding as a job just yet. Not to discourage you - just to discourage writing code for important systems before you know exactly what you're doing.

2. Good systems will generally use a database (a way of saving information without manually writing to some file). They also provide a lot of additional things, like increased speed, data integrity, and protection against information loss.
What happens to your program if the power goes out? (You'd lose data if you weren't running a database)
What happens if the CPU overheats and the system off instantly? (You'd lose data if you weren't running a database)
What happens when the listed customer for a transaction suddenly doesn't seem to point to any known customers? (With a database, you have data integrity)

Though to answer your actual question, try this: Google Search for visual basic file i/o

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion.
My friend was looking for some sales program and I think it would be helpful for him.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: