Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 COMPSCI.CA SHOP, What do you think?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

what do you think about the shop idea?
(No ending time set)
good idea
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
ok idea
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
bad idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:09 pm   Post subject: COMPSCI.CA SHOP, What do you think?

This news was posted by me to day:

Quote:

Compsci.ca has started a new program to give out e-mails and possible web hosting. What we are doing is for every post on the board that is not spam you will get 1 or 2 "bits". These "bits" will be a kind of money on the board where you can "buy" cool stuff like change the colour of your name on the board, change your rank name, and other fun stuff. But best of all if you get lots of "bits" you can buy e-mail forwarding and may be hosting at compsci.ca

Right now I only have the effects shop up but we will be adding the ability to get e-mail forwding and hosting latter.

Also you can donate your "bits" to other members on the board and the mods can give users "bits" for help poleop. There may also be some contest where you can win a lot of "bits" to do with as you wish.

Now you may be saying this is all nice and good but how dose it help me to evil things and piss poleop off Twisted Evil ? Well we have something for you too, if you get enougth "bits" you can change other poleops rank name and the only way they will be able to get there rank name back by using there "bits". Note that it is there "RANK" name not there user name, the thing that says newbe, ect.

Well let us know what you think of the idea and have fun. Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
azndragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds like a good idea, one of my forums also has that mod, and although it's pretty basic right now, it has a lot of potential, so if you have access to the files or whatever, then I think it's a good idea.

P.S. While on the subject of forums, I wanna know something; would you ever consider switching to the Invision Forums? They look really nice, I have experience dealing with it's features, as I am an admin of one, and it's a lot faster than this type of forum. It's free also, and easy to set up. Just wanna let you consider this idea, that's all. It's found at http://www.invisionboard.com

Edit: Oh wow, you already added it, but I'm kinda unsure why my bits are at they are; doesn't seem to follow any formula. One serious problem though that I have experienced is that the admins (like me on my forum) tend to "cheat" their money, as easily seen by Dan's amount, and no offence or anything, it's kinda stupid, because it takes away the fun, because what's the point of trying to earn money, when you can max it instantly? Another thing is that since you're so rich, you can "outnumber" another user's money, and if you're really pissed off at a particular user, you can keep on changing their title. Just my 2 cents.

Edit2: Another thing, I think the prices are WAY too steep here. I'm one of the higher posters, and I'm not even CLOSE to buying anything in the shop. The result will be that only the mods/admins will have access to the inventory, as they can edit their zeny to suit their needs, unless you edit the prices a little.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:55 pm   Post subject: humm

ah, all good points. the mods points are so high right now becuse we/i am testing the shop and need lots of points to do so. will porbley set them back when tony looks at it. as for the step prices we will porbley lower them when we add the good stuff, ie. e-mail and such also i am going to be give poleole some extae points for posting subsioms and such. if you whont to know the formal is 1 point for a topic post and 2 for an re.

as for the idea of siiching fourms i will look in too it but i have spent a lot of time moding this fourm to wrok the way i whont it to so i dont know how relay i whode whont to chage the fourm.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ROFL.

*laughs that Dan didnt notice that Tony changed his title this morning*

looks around

*laughs some more cuz now Dan doesnt have enough points to change it back*

Edit: *bitches at Dan cuz he changed his title, and took all Tony's bits away to himself* Evil or Very Mad
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
azndragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hehe, now you're money is more fair. I have an idea. You should set a SUPER steep price, like 100k or something, to become a mod Laughing
azndragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
ROFL.

*laughs that Dan didnt notice that Tony changed his title this morning*

looks around

*laughs some more cuz now Dan doesnt have enough points to change it back*

Edit: *bitches at Dan cuz he changed his title, and took all Tony's bits away to himself* Evil or Very Mad

I noticed that also. Thought it was a bug. Excuse the double posting.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lets see... take myself for example -

500 posts = 1000 bits
+1000 donated for help = 2000 bits
+1000 for winning random contest = 3000 bits
+500 for awesome submited game = 3500 bits
+5000 for all the tutorials = 8500 bits
+500 for taking points away from spammers Wink = 9000 bits

If there was a clone of myself as a user on this board... I'd give him 9000 bits... thats still 1000 bits short of 10K.

I think we need to redesign point system
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dan saw, dan did not like Wink

any way if you saw i set the prices back a bite and gave the mods a fare amout of bits.

also if you are woriide about some one chaging your title there is a bug in it so you can go to store then sell you title to have it go back to defute but you get no bits.

so it relay is not a problem.

P.S. Evil or Very Mad
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
azndragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Holy crap, who gave me all the extra bits?

*goes on a crazy shopping spree*

Edit: Can we see all the effects, such as glow, shadow, etc, to see what we get for each username effect? And the username is azndragon, and the user title is Programmer for me, right?
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

we will see how it gose and ajusted it if needed.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

selling stuff will just get rid of it, you dot get bits back Confused I tried with title colors.

anyway, we gotta give away more bits, cuz as I told you before... I value myself at almost 10K bits... thats 9.7 bytes Evil or Very Mad I mean you're right that big prizes need to be hard to get... but still achivable...

get on MSN, we'll talk there
octopi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You should make it so that the user can enter custom values for the colors, I looked at your html code, and for things like changing the text color, it just sends the server the html code for the color, so it wouldn't be hard for the user to enter his own color. (336699 = some cool blue color, etc..)
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:32 am   Post subject: Re: COMPSCI.CA SHOP, What do you think?

Hacker Dan wrote:

Now you may be saying this is all nice and good but how dose it help me to evil things and piss poleop off Twisted Evil ? Well we have something for you too, if you get enougth "bits" you can change other poleops rank name and the only way they will be able to get there rank name back by using there "bits". Note that it is there "RANK" name not there user name, the thing that says newbe, ect.

This idea needs a little fine tuning. This cannot be used for griefing, changing someone elses rank should require a significant amount of bits, and the cost to change it back should cost significantly less than that. This is to avoid griefing. Also, certain ranks need to be protected/unchangable, particularly the mod ranks, we do not want newcomers to become confused in determining whether someone is actually part of the staff or not. Other than that, how are we going to moderate the bits? ie avoid someone's rank be changed to Mr.Asshole or something like that.
octopi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Another thing I noticed, was that when you click on the word 'Items' by someones name in a post, it takes you to your page, where is says there name near the top "Hacker Dan's Inventory" but it shows my number of bits in the bottom. Is that right?

It also doesn't show your inventory at all, it just shows mine (which is empty, cause I have few bits)

It would be cool to see what other own, I think thats what you intended, just looks like a small bug.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

asok - you're right about the mod ranks... I think this idea need some editing so its not gonna backfire on us.

as for mr.asshole... I already changed dan's title to that, but he changed it back Confused I guess mods have to watch out for that, but I think that ultimatly we'll just get rid of that feature at all... too much confusion. I'll talk to dan, I got an idea of something that will replace it.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: