Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 lame AOL users
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:05 pm   Post subject: lame AOL users

as Dan Clements, founder of CardCops (online banking security or something... not sure) nicely puts
Quote:

AOL users are the newbies, so they're way more susceptible to these scams.

Apparently some woman from Ohio was mass mailing spam to AOL users saying that "last attempt to bill the recipient's credit card had failed", and included a link to an "AOL Billing Center" webpage, where an online form demanded the user's name, address, credit card number, expiration date, three-digit CCV number and credit card limit.

Well the fact that such Billing Center is not on aol.com domain should strike a bell. And the fact they they ask for your CC limit should just make you wonder how much they planning on charging Wink But apparently lots of people fell for the scam (heh, they use AOL, eh?)

Anyways, it all ended when she mailed an FBI agent specializing in computer fraud.

Heh, my broadband costs as much as AOL dialup, and I can also check my email and chat to friends 8) @ 100x the speed Laughing

source
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

btw - No More AOL CDs . com is still collecting. Over the 2.5 years since they started, they collected 230,000 AOL CDs. Looks like they just might hit their 1 million goal by the year 2010 Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:11 pm   Post subject: Re: lame AOL users

tony wrote:
Anyways, it all ended when she mailed an FBI agent specializing in computer fraud.

LOL, whont that mean the "FBI agent specializing in computer fraud" used AOL. no whonder why they have some many problms with hacking and computer crimes. Razz
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
poly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Over the 2.5 years since they started, they collected 230,000 AOL CDs
Do I smell a world record of some sort....
So basically you're saying I could scam these AOLers and would only risk of getting caught? hmmm interesting
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, she didnt even get convinced, the court found her "not guilty". I suppose they realized its AOL user's own fault Laughing

So yeah... feel free to scam AOL Twisted Evil Company sucks anyways, a bunch of CEOs quit a while ago, said they couldn't take that crap any longer or something along those lines. You know... Rolling Eyes
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My friend Ian's collecting them and making a curtain out of all of them. I think he's at somewhere around 200 (I could be wrong, but I'm sure he has at least 100)
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's kind of funny when you think about it...AOL's site lags really badly.

Plus their site is ass. And they have advertising on it.

Just to show what kind of people they're aiming at...they have two offers on their site for AOL 8.0...one for 1045 'free' hours, another for unlimited 'free' hours. And there's no 'Why go AOL' link... funny that.
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its called horrible marketing...and since ur the marketin mod u can point those things out Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
My friend Ian's collecting them and making a curtain out of all of them. I think he's at somewhere around 200 (I could be wrong, but I'm sure he has at least 100)

hey u live in waterloo u can tell ur friend to stop by my work...we have like 60-100 of them that noone wants cuz aol sucks...it is like worse than a 56k modem(the free cd stuff anyway)
Corybu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was on aol for like... 8 years up untill like last month.

I was in no means a newb, or a moron or anything like that.

My parents simply would not spring for boradband, I finally got them to get it, cause I thought "Ill stay online all the time, and tie up the phone line" it worked.

Were on sympatico, and I download at 200+k/s most of the time.

Its better than sex.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey Corybu, didnt mean to offend you or anything. Its just that AOL users are assosiated with newbs because generally old and very young people fall for those "all my friends are on AOL, why dont I join so I can send them emails" commercials.

also the fact that they got a shitty mandetory browser and a price as high as my DSL Laughing
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

-.- im young -.-
I don't go for AOL Very Happy Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, but you're unbelivably smart for your age... You gonna go a long way if you keep this up.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah...was waiting for that Very Happy jk thanks
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, everytime we go to Radio Shack or whatever we take the whole pile of AOL cds.

I hate AOL, and I hope that the company gets trampled by a rabid hoard of n00bs.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: