Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 text RPG by azndragon
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:11 pm   Post subject: text RPG by azndragon

this is a cool text-based RPG programmed by azndragon

I played for a bit and I liked it a lot... It doesn't have graphics, but its really planned out with high attention to details. You should check it out yourself.

It has some nice music from Final Fantasy 8 (I think)

It might be a bit buggy at times, but its still good. Hopefully there'll be an update Wink

This program wes verified by Tony to be harm free Wink

Feel free to play

Note: Scroll down couple of posts for newest version of the game
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
azndragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh yeah, and another thing, which I kinda put in, then took it out when I submitted it, after you activate the bridge, and go across it, it will appear to freeze, but that's just because that's the end of the game, gonna add some more later. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: Below is another version of my game. Feel free to run it, unless you're worried about harmful code (which there isn't).

Changes:

Fixed some more bugs
    Implemented viewing status and equipment in battles
    Implemented running in battle
    Implemented multiple save files
    Improved item usage
    Increased EXP limit

Edit2: Oh wow, I just improved the battle system so that it supports 3 monsters! Problem was, it added about an extra 1k+ lines of code, too bad I couldn't find an easier way. Battle support for 3 monsters is not fully coded yet, I gotta work out the little quirks and all. Also gonna improve the item drops dynamics, so look forward to it Laughing
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Your game is pretty coo dude, even though it is text based it is still fun to play

Great Job Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:46 am   Post subject: good game

good start for a great text based rpg.

i whode recomend usning numbered menues:

ie.

1. save
2. items
3. magick
4. ect....

so the user just has to put in a number. this will speed it up and stop poleop from not understding what to put in.

also in your newest version it crahed when i try to save i think that is a bug in your code or itjustcode be my pc.

it is a great story line and i like all the eforte put in to the dfrent clases. also your choise of musick is good.

i like what you got there you could make this in to a very good rpg.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
azndragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for all the nice comments, and I'll tak your suggestion into consideration. Right now, I'm off school, so I'm using the time to implement new stuff, and I totally ditched the magic and skill system for a totally new one, so it's taking a while to re-build. Might not be a release for a while though, cause I added new classes also, even though they are 2nd classes, and ditched the Archer, because it's the weakest class, since it does not have any defined advantages. If someone really likes the archer, and wants me to put it back in, I need some advantages of Archers first so it will actually be as strong as the other classes, but until then, it's gone.
m4rk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nice program... finally something to do in my comp sci class Smile
azndragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, here's an updated version. Hope you guys like it. Don't worry, its a safe file, I worked hard on it, but if you don't wanna trust me, wait until Tony posts it up, so you can download his version, but they're both the same. Storywise, there isn't much of an update, but I added some cool new features Very Happy

Final Fantasy Legends.zip
 Description:
the game

Download
 Filename:  Final Fantasy Legends.zip
 Filesize:  534.95 KB
 Downloaded:  1062 Time(s)

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the above file was checked over and reuploaded by me...

its an awesome text-based RPG Very Happy Keep up the good work.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
azndragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh crap, just noticed a little bug in my game. You can only cast magic on the first monster. I think I forgot to add the section for casting magic on other enemies.
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

azndragon wrote:
If someone really likes the archer, and wants me to put it back in, I need some advantages of Archers first so it will actually be as strong as the other classes, but until then, it's gone.

Advantages for the archer could be "ranged" based such as enemy increased chance to miss with melee attacks. Archer's get a skill called Critical Strike or something like that which increases the damage output. Archer would get a skill called Aimed Shot which increases it's chance to hit AND increases it's chance for a critical hit (increased damage). All this should be enough to balance in the Archer.
azndragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I was thinking of skills like that, and elemental arrows would be pretty nice. Plus I have a bunch of other classes I wanna add, like mage subclasses, but it is not really high on my priority list right now, so thanks for your input. As Tony probably knows from looking at my source, there's A LOT that I need to fix up and add Wink . Good thing Turing is actually useful in my school; at least I'm not wasting my time learning QBASIC a lot, since it's only useful this year.

P.S Hehe, looks like I kinda messed up with spell casting. Only spell that works right now is Firebolt, despite what I said in the readme. Rolling Eyes
DarkHelmet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hi. I'm having a bit of a problem with the program. the first thing is, it never lets you run from a battle. The second is that after you finish the first battle the program crashes every time. Just some things for you to consider.
DarkHelmet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I take back that bit about running away. It just doesn't do it very often.
DarkHelmet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Once I run away from one battle, it automatically runs away from every battle. Makes leveling very difficult.
azndragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not sure about the crashing, since I havn't really tested the after-battle aspect of the game. And I havn't really paid attention to the running formula, so it's just there, but not really functional. Your stats may also be too low, because your stats affect your chance to run away. Besides, you shouldn't need to run anyways, they can't be THAT hard, I think Rolling Eyes

Edit: Oh crap, makes you run EVERY battle? Haha, that sucks, I'll try and fix that, and the crashing after every battle, I think I know what I messed up on.

Edit2: I don't seem to have a problem after the battle. Do you know what the error message was?
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: