Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Mcmaster Science Olympiad
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:00 pm   Post subject: Mcmaster Science Olympiad

Mcmaster University is holding their annual Science Olympiad/Open House

Just wondering, anyone's school is sending a team to compete?

Massey is sending a team, hopefully some of us can meet up at Mcmaster
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my school was going to send a team (achoualy all of the grade 12 sci classes) but they found out it whould cost them more then 10 bucks to ship every one there and everything so they gave up, lol. I guse i should not complaine still better then old school.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Impyshock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my shcool might go, stmarys ...
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how many people you need for a team? Cuz I'm the only one in my school Confused

Could someone post up more info on the event? Preferably in the "Contests" category since it makes more sence Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I believe you can send in as many people as you want...but it costs $15 per person

here is the webpage for it, all the rules and stuff

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/olympics/2003/
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

$15 per person cuz you get to keep a t-shirt Confused Would have been $5 without it Wink

ether way, too bad there's no programming involved Shocked Heck, not even for the software design event - "no programming experience required - plain problem solving"

The only even I like in there is the SimCity lan party Laughing Heh... If you guys wanna go though, we could try to regester as a compsci.ca team Wink I'm sure we could forge enough paperwork (if any) to do so Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, i don't blame people if they don't want to go to the science olympiad, I mean, the winnings (assuming if you came in top 3) are all "Non-Transferrable" scholarships, that's bullsh$t, cheap ass bastards...

but $15 covers lunch, snack, a free shirt, but most importantly, A DAY AWAY FROM HELL!!!(otherwise known as Vincent Massey Secondary School) And it's not like we are paying for it, our school is notorious for it's ability of getting funding for all kinds of contests.

and how are you suppose to build a city in 30 minutes? Of course, I don't play Simcity, so I suck at it, and I never get people to live in my town....

anyone willing to share strategies?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cheap housing and just enough work - thats the key Wink

Start off with a patch of lowrise housing and build a loop of the road around it. Place 2 bus stops at opposite ends. Then as people move in, build lowrise commercial sector next to residence to have ~100% employment.

This will attract more people and you can start expending in a similar fasion. As you gain momentum you can move on to build highrise area.

If you want extra cash - you can have an industrial sector on the side and raise taxes after its build up. They pollute so you better make them generate enough money Wink

This is comming from my SimCity 3000 experience (haven't played 2000).

Another tip - dont forget to hook up the water and electricity to all the areas. Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the only good simcity was the original one. i was freaking amazing at that game...

*cough* Shift+F+U+N+D+S *cough*
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Then you should go with us, talk to the teachers or something, im sure they'll understand.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Laughing pay $15 to play SimCity in T.O. for a bit Wink

Actually I wouldn't mind such an event... If only their other events would make more sence, or atleast be more interesting...

I wonder if we can just come in there and watch? If (as soon) as we get bored, we can just chill in T.O. do some stuff 8)
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where is mcmaster anyways...
what amazes me is that so many ppl cant build an arm that could hold 100 grams (or build it very short!!) ex I dont see the names of Yang, Yukai on the list... they must not be very smart...
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well i used to have simcity on my palm....i'd make the tax rates really low then at the end of the year...jack up the tax to like 90 % and then lower the tax to like 1 again......makes so much money Very Happy
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: