Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 new features development [poll + feedback]
Index -> Network News
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What's the number one new feature you want added?
(Voting is closed)
More information on Universities
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Job board
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CS Co-op information
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Project ideas
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Project showcase
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Programming contests
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Featured question
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm   Post subject: new features development [poll + feedback]

I've been previously hinting at new features being developed for the compsci.ca community. This is an inside look at some of my thoughts and a chance to hear more from you guys. At first I just wanted to a new design for the /blog, and now it looks like I'll be building myself my own backend software for it (extending Wordpress through themes and plugins is too much of a hack). This would also allow for the project to become more than simply a collection of articles, but I want to know what type of content should be supported by the system.

I've noticed some trends from the existing usage of the website, and they are featured in the poll. It's somewhat of a closed loop system, since only the type of content that's already there can possibly show up. Though it's a good starting point.

University Reviews -- I notice a lot of people researching information about computer science at different Universities. Waterloo, Carleton, University of Toronto... There are a couple of general review articles, and more in the making, but this area could receive more attention. More reviews? More in-depth detail? Media (campus pictures, virtual tours?) Real tours? (only UW currently).

Co-op careers -- another popular search trend is about careers. This is a rather large area to explore. Dan and I were already playing with an idea of a job board, something to supplement the resources available from the University co-op system (because from experience, it's not the greatest). Though there are also reviews of existing job types (what's it like to start out in QA?), tips for starting out (how to land a programming job that is not QA), and career oriented questions (how to break into video game industry is a popular one). This could go as general as information about interview questions (could concentrate on technical aspects), and student work visas (Silicon Valley is not in Canada).

Project Ideas -- there's often a need for a source of inspiration. From "a really simple" game to pass high school CS, to Master's thesis to research. I'm thinking there could be more community involvement if this was to be featured.

Project Showcases -- ties into the above, a review of existing projects that were done. While we already have forums to upload your games and such, I'm thinking that it would perhaps be a lot more interesting to explore more of CS through this. Application of research type of deal; something to show that there's more to computer science than what we already know. The awesome flavoured stuff.

Contests -- this is more of a DWITE area, but why not?

Featured Question -- every once in a while I get asked a question (or come across an interesting one on the forums) that calls for a researched article of a reply. There are a couple of such posts already, and I'm playing around with an idea of turning this into a weekly series. Maybe.

Something totally different -- if we are developing new features anyway, might as well suggest something different. Go for it.

Tacos -- this option is exclusive to md.

I'm just looking for some feedback to establish a better targeted focus. What more of would you like to see?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:11 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

Since there's no actual taco option in the poll, my vote goes towards the university reviews and information section. This seems to be a recurring question among younger members and would greatly benefit them.

I'd be more than happy to share some pictures of and information about my school Wink.
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:11 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

if I could vote for two it'd be project ideas + showcase

showcase could be a monthly/bimonthly thing
Mackie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:18 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

Project Team Recruitment forum would be good too. A lot of people want to start big group projects but have the resources or talent to do it on there own.

A project oriented Forum group would be good.

Including:
Project Ideas
Project Recruitment
Project Showcase

We may get a lot more big projects popping up.
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:25 pm   Post subject: Re: new features development [poll + feedback]

University Reviews -- 7.8/10 Needed, not the most badly, after all, this isn't www.compsciunisearch.ca. It is a good idea however, and could be solved by having a miniblog set of all the people at various uni's write a column on their CS/CE department.

Co-op careers -- 8.1/10 Still, we are not www.compscijobz.ca. This however, would be a much more, narrow field to write for, even less of the community is involved in a non-barebones job. This *would* be something I would support however.

Project Ideas -- 6/10 We have a game idea topic already. people given ideas whenever they are stuck, do not develop ideas on their own later, most often.

Project Showcases -- 10/10 Yes, Yes, a million times yes. TInit, OpenT (dang it's sounding repetitive already), and other projects that may not yet have been revealed. A section specifically for this, would be a great addition IMO.

Contests -- ~/10 Dunno. We have DWITE, and our annual contest, but due to lack of overall community funds, there are no *real* prizes for our community competition. I'm not suggesting we go on the bandwagon for money now, but *some*thing must be able to be procured, or am I wrong, in which case, disregard.

Featured Question -- 9/10 Make wtd's tips a Front page thing, once we develop a front page Razz

Something totally different -- 10/10 No one expects a Chinese Inquisition. On a serious note: Webcomic, mackie is doing something good.

Tacos -- I swear, If I ever wind up in the Waterloo/Toronto area. (Unlikely though, I hate Ontario/Quebec, and Toronto Itself, Land of the GFWs) But if I am, we can all go to a taco place, my treat.
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:43 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

for the showcase maybe we could use compsci's annually contest (if it's still being done) and showcase the top 3 or something, plus anyother projects anyone might want to submit
jernst

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 pm   Post subject: Re: new features development [poll + feedback]

I'd be interested in contributing to some projects / collaborating in some open source type of stuff. Also I'd be willing to lend any my knowledge on the schools I've been to / know information about.
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

I voted contests, but after reading the description, I'd say the weekly article/question thing. Different topics every week would be cool, covering different aspects of CS.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:16 pm   Post subject: Re: new features development [poll + feedback]

I propose an auto code tag option, as soon as a post is submitted, its checked over for a series of ":="s and if a post has at least one, and not already surrounded in code tags, code tags should encompass the post starting at the first newline.

I cant keep opening topics with code tags missing, having to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post to reply with a noob-hating comment.
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

I suppose that would work for most cases, but where would it start?, not at the first line witha := surely. It could just mess things up.

And there's a reply button at the top.
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:46 pm   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

What i meant was that the code tag should be inserted at the first newline of the entire post.

but in all honesty, this idea is quite absurd, and (kind of) joking.
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 am   Post subject: RE:new features development [poll + feedback]

What me need is automagical machines to do it. Sometimes greatness is a burden, remember this apomb.
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: