Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 SAST (Students Against Stupid Turing)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:19 pm   Post subject: SAST (Students Against Stupid Turing)

its a club where once you join, you vow to not to touch turing for the rest of your lives. anyone wanna join? Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, "Turing" got cut off in the "latest posts" window and at first I though it was "Students Against Stupid Teachers"

which makes more sence - since its not so much the language thats the problem - its the way its being tought in schools.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

IM IN!
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wish i could (stupid school Evil or Very Mad )
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd say it's stupid =S... u know not everyone that takes gr 10 compsci know everything about programming... so i dun think it's a bad idea to start with it...
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i think it's great. if turing were a person (the 'language' not the mathematician) i'd say something like "hey turing, how are you? doesn't matter, you should be dead." anyways, i would like to join but then i wouldn't be able to help people who are trying to learn turing.

maybe i'll just do the next best thing and hand out illegal copies of turing to everyone Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i dont think it whould be a great idea to cut out turing all thougther. i mean it is a good langue for beigners to progaming and it dose let you do some stuff with graficks easly. The main problem is tha lack of good resoreces for teaching turing and progaming.

*note that dans coments in this post are havely infulcted by realcnet dealings with holth soft Shocked *
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd have to agree with Homer on this one .. . I think that turing is a really good language for people to start learning programming in ... the syntax is really easy, it's powerful enough to learn most of the major concepts of programming ...

could you imagine someone who struggles with turing trying to learn to program with something like c++? they would be so busy trying to make sure their syntax is right instead of learning to program

and other things that are easy to use, but have bells n whistles (such as vb) are pretty much useless for learning to program ... a couple people I've talked to in my program took vb in high school and they are struggling with algorithms/psuedocode for very very basic programs
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think we had a discussion quite a while ago on compsci curiculum in schools and figured that Turing is good for the first year programming.

Dan does raise a good point that the biggest lack of that language is resource availablity for both students and teachers. Just compsci.ca and Turing Syntax Reference book by holt Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my compsci teacher wrote tutorials for the different things ... pretty much a book I guess
poly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ahhh darn it and to think I was going to come in here and say something bright like:

Well I am sure when kids look at PHP, C++ etc they say "holy crap there is a lot to learn" and some people might feel discouraged to try to learn them. So I think Turing is a good idea and great way to start off. Yes it's very very basic, but what you do in Turing (like IF statements) is basically the same in each language.

and than I was going to proceed to rambell on about nonsense, but I see this topic doesn't need that
Impyshock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am in gr 11 ICS 3M1 and its easy, i have never took compsci before but i have done so much on turing, its really easy to grasp and you can get the teacher really angry with some of the stuff you can make...

here is one i did and put on the shared Turing folder-

code:
put "Welcome to the Impys magic penis machine,"
put "it will determine the length of your slong."

put "Please enter your shoe size "..
get size

put "Impys Penis is,",size,"inches longer than yours!"
krishon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

whoa...are we even allowed to have those types of avatars, lol
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya...i blocked it -.-
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

congraltions Impyshock, you are the 1st user ever to lose there avatars rights on this fourm. Peoleop use this fourm at school and i get in enogth shit about it with out avatars like that.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 52 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: