Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Tutorials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:03 am   Post subject: The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?

So, a thread devoted to nothing but suggestions on improving the Introduction to Java. All suggestions are welcome. Inane ones will be ridiculed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:05 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

I'd like to see more about Frames/JFrames and what can be done with them, and more about Swing and it's components
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:07 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

Swing is a big topic, and not integral to the language, which is why I've stayed away from that.
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:13 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

Perhaps some sort of comparison of Turing to Java. I could even write a tutorial if somebody gives me something to write it on.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 am   Post subject: Re: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

rdrake @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:13 am wrote:
Perhaps some sort of comparison of Turing to Java. I could even write a tutorial if somebody gives me something to write it on.

interesting you mention that, Holtsoft has a very crude, not well done chart on the subject, maybe you could redo it. Lemme find it

EDIT: www.holtsoft.com/java/resources/turing_to_java.pdf
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:24 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

re-use of code, mainly polymorphism, and the power of OOP, after all objects makes Java Very Happy
r691175002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am   Post subject: Re: The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?

I think that OOP theory and usefulness, perhaps even design patterns should get a mention because OOP is so fundamental to Java. It is a hard concept to grasp at first, and doesn't immediately seem useful so it will be hard to impart to a new programmer.

I may also throw in a bit about Javadocs and how to take advantage of them, since I think that good documentation is key to being effective in a language with so many built in libraries.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

Perhaps some more about generics.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 am   Post subject: Re: The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?

Yes wtd, some discussion on design patterns would be ideal Wink

Gandalf: Anything in particular? I think he covered quite a bit in fair detail.

Edit: However, after second thoughts, I don't think this is suited for an "introduction" to Java. Maybe a separate "intermediate java" tutorial, or so.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 am   Post subject: Re: The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?

r691175002 @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am wrote:
I may also throw in a bit about Javadocs and how to take advantage of them,
I think this is very important. I'm sure wtd agrees with this. I second this, btw.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 am   Post subject: Re: The Java Introduction: what's needed/wanted?

r691175002 @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am wrote:
may also throw in a bit about Javadocs and how to take advantage of them, since I think that good documentation is key to being effective in a language with so many built in libraries.

before I had no idea how to use Javadocs, I even bashed it on IRC, then recently I took another look and found them extremely helpful, it's a great idea for a tutorial on how to use
shadowman544

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 am   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

he does not lie he had this argument with me for like 2 weeks at the beginning of the semester
andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

I'm going to try to learn Java this summer and I would like to see how to get the user to input data (like get in Turing). I quickly went through the tutorial and it doesn't say how to do this.
syntax_error

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

andrew. @ Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm wrote:
I'm going to try to learn Java this summer and I would like to see how to get the user to input data (like get in Turing). I quickly went through the tutorial and it doesn't say how to do this.

scanner class.
is what your looking for, and till some one makes a tut on it, just Google it you will get many many examples.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm   Post subject: RE:The Java Introduction: what\'s needed/wanted?

there's many ways to do it:
Scanner
JOptionPane
KeyEvent

and I'm sure there's still plenty more
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: