Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 MS University of Calgary
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 pm   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

Well, this link says you can't do it in computer science, but that the M.Sc in Software Engineering is offered jointly with Electrical and Computer Engineering. Looking at that department, it also talks about a thesis-based M.Sc. There is a M.Eng, coursework only, but no financial aid and no specialization in Software Engineering mentioned. You should check that the link you posted has current information, because the departments don't seem to advertise the coursework M.Sc in SE.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:45 am   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

I was also confused by the lack of a course based msc just was waiting for someone else to say it in case i missed it somewhere lol Razz
Robinking

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:56 pm   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

What abt the staying in calgary? Can any one say abt the cost of living there. And if possible can anyone say abt the normal expenses for a month with internet connection for the stay there.
Robinking

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:05 pm   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

is there any difference in doing Msc. SE(course based) in Electrical n Computerscience Dept. compared to doing it in CS dept.(if available)

Also kindly get me a list of universities(with consideralbe financial aid) offering MSc. SE (course based).
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:31 pm   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

you could get a list of Universities from Wikipedia

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Though you'd probably have to check for the availability of a specific program yourself.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:33 pm   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

But really, it's all about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Thirteen_(Canadian_universities)

I had no idea such a group existed. Heh.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 pm   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Not too many surprises about the members though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:12 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

"The factual accuracy of this article is disputed."

Need i say more?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:15 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

You need not. However Dan, how good is Lakehead when it comes to Graduate Studies/Research?
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:35 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Bring my university in to it becues the debater goeses there is a logical faclity but i will play along. (if infact that is what you where doing, if it was just a casul question i am sorry for the hostility)

Lakehead's endualment acording to wikipeida is $30.6 million and acording to wikipedia it has 7,644 students (undgrad + other).

So the edualment per student is $4003.14 unless my math is off (witch it might be as it is late). Acording to the page it would place it in 11th place on that page. Witch just goes to show how messed up that page is rather then anything about lakehead (or my math is when sleepy).

Now lakehead is an undergratue university witch means rating it by gradatue students simply does not make sence. But for undergradaute reasearch lakehead has won awards and come out on top in canada for undergratue research. source: "In October 2006, Lakehead University was named 'Research University Of The Year' (Undergraduate Category) by Research Infosource, achieving No.1 rank for both research income growth in Canada, and research intensity in its category." [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakehead_University ]( http://www.researchinfosource.com/media/2006RUY-UndergraduateAnalysis.pdf )

Also lakehead just got $957,081 in new SSHRC Grants ( http://communications.lakeheadu.ca/news/?display=news&nid=458 ) and $2,425,837 in NSERC Funding ( http://communications.lakeheadu.ca/news/?display=news&nid=457 ).

Eidt: Please note that i am not trying to use the above to say lakehaed is better then any other universtiy, just that the wikipedia artical is in error and the stats are meaningless or can be manuplidated easly to say anything.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:44 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Yea I've heard of Lakehead being excellent for undergrad. However, I was just wondering about its graduate studies. This is because the only ones that struck me as good candidate for Graduate studies (in Canada) were all listed in the Group of Thirteen. Razz

So yea, I was hoping you could give some insight into the kind of stuff Lakehead does for Grad and Post-grad.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:52 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Well althought it is not the main focuses of lakehead they do have graduate studys but to a lesser extent.

For the computer sci deperament there are about 12 grad student spaces per year. They offer both cores based and thesies based masters and what you would be doing greatly depends on what proforser your supvirosor is and what your thesies topic is.

Lakehead does not have many phd level programs other then ones it spesies in like forestry so you would probly have to go some where eltes if you want to go past the masters level there.

Persoanly i am intrested in gradtuate studys at university of toronto but taking my masters at lakehead would hardly be a bad thing.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:54 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

That's informative, thanks.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:08 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Also a fun CRC/CompSci.ca fact:

My dad's a canada research chair in water quality protection at waterloo.

Witch makes it kind of funny that i am aruging agisted the imporentece of the group of thirteen.
Robinking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:59 am   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

Robinking @ Sat May 31, 2008 8:35 am wrote:
is there any difference in doing Msc. SE(course based) in Electrical n Computerscience Dept. compared to doing it in CS dept.(if available)

I didn't get answers to this question. Sad
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 40 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: