Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need Beta Testing Help
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Archi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:40 pm   Post subject: Need Beta Testing Help

I need some help with beta testing my current game, Arakaron. I'll post a link to it and try to attach it to my post..Any suggestions can be posted here, or sent to my email @ tjpestill@hotmail.com

Here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/assort/Arakaron.zip

Arakaron.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Arakaron.zip
 Filesize:  307.56 KB
 Downloaded:  335 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dl it and will take a look at it latter and post with my coments Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dunno if it was supposed to be like this but i wasn't able to start a game...like i went through ur story line and then it asked if i accept the quest and then i put "y" enter and it just sits there waiting for input...if u know how to fix this then plz post it so i can try out ur game
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have the same compaltes 1st time i tryed i keeped on geting do you whont to start quest or wahter and i tryed like 10 times then it side some fast and it crashed.

i tried a sceonded time and after try a few times to get it to start. but i got cougth in enter your name loop for about 10 times or i think i fialy got in and hit the m key by mistake and could not get out of a shop thing.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Archi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't get what happened in your post Hacker Dan, but with the screen going blank after the story, for some reason it doesn't move onto the next procedure...All you have to do is press any key and it will continue.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

basicly it whent in to telling story, then screen when blank. then i hit enter and it side "do you acpted the quest" so i hit y and it whent blank and then back to "do you acpted the quest". so after doing that a few times it then crashed.

the next time i did the same loop of stuff over aboput 5 times and then it asked for my name. i put it in and it side that you got some items. then it aked for name angen and side i got same items. it keeped doing that about 2 to 4 times then i got in to game.

while i was tring to figer out game i hit key and it side i could combined items armour or wepaond. i tryed typing in everyting i could think of but it whould not quite that. so i gave up.

i think there is a problem with your loops Confused
Archi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...I'm not sure wat could be causing it. I can post the procedure that controls the story and the first bit of everythnig else. Just to see what you people think...So here it is...

procedure story
open : filestream, "story.txt", get
loop
cls
for decreasing i : 10 .. 1
exit when eof (filestream)
get : filestream, line (i) : *
for j : 16 .. 31
Font.Draw (line (i), maxx div 2 - Font.Width (line (i), fonta) div 2, maxy div 6 + (i * 35), fonta, j)
delay (30)
View.Update
end for
end for
for i : 1 .. 10
line (i) := ""
end for
loop
exit when hasch
end loop
if eof (filestream) then
Font.Draw ("Do you accept the quest?", maxx div 2 - Font.Width ("Do you accept the quest?", fonta) div 2, maxy div 6, fonta, 31)
getch (key)
if key = "y" then
start
elsif key = "n" then
put "I guess I was wrong about you. I'm sorry you're too much of a panzy to help."
quit
end if
end if
getch (key)
if key = "y" then
Font.Draw ("Do you accept the quest?", maxx div 2 - Font.Width ("Do you accept the quest?", fonta) div 2, maxy div 6, fonta, 31)
getch (key)
if key = "y" then
start
exit
elsif key = "n" then
put "I guess I was wrong about you. I'm sorry you're too much of a panzy to help."
quit
end if
end if
end loop
end story
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think part of the problem is this:

code:

if eof (filestream) then
        getch (key)
        if key = "y" then
            start
        elsif key = "n" then
            quit
        end if
    end if
    getch (key)
    if key = "y" then
        getch (key)
        if key = "y" then
            start
            exit
        elsif key = "n" then
            quit
        end if

if it is the end of the file (and i think it whould be) it will ask them two times if they whont to do the quest. if they hit any key but y or n i think it will loop agane b/c it ends with out runing the start function.

try using an else if betwen the if eof thing and the other if's
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Archi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dammit...that second if statement is supposed to be if key="s" then

Thats to allow the player to skip through the story..I accidently changed it for some reason
Papageorgeo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe create a saved game and then upload it and we can go from there for bug testing.
Azzy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i got through to the actual game but i can't see the character.only a black screen with a blue line and three star things.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why does nobody ever take off the button bar? setscreen("nobuttonbar")
templest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:23 pm   Post subject: Hmm...

Well I downloaded the original unmodified program and it ran just fine. Confused (Hi, I became a member of this website like... phew... a year ago maybe? I just never really logged in 'till now). I have to say that it's a major kick ass program. It's not Warcraft III. But it's a kool text RPG. I have a phew MAJOR suggestions that would make this game SO much better.

- TOO MUCH TEXT TO READ... Get's Boring Very Quickly.

- Add some backround music. Load some 'wav's. Some midevil style stuff. Something from zelda. Smile

-Buttons... GUI or your own custom made ones. Better if you made kool pics and did the buttonwait thing though. Wink

-Pics in general... I understand that it's supposed to be a TEXT RPG. By the look of things... But it won't do you much harm to make a neat/ cool looking menu. Apealing to the user.

The actual game is great. I just thing you need to "spruce" it up a bit. I do take into consideration that it's "BETA" so ergo it's not all complete. Just some suggestions though.
thoughtful

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Hmm...

templest wrote:
(Hi, I became a member of this website like... phew... a year ago maybe? I just never really logged in 'till now).

It says u join on 21 may 2003 thats not an year ago...hehe...i jus love to bug people. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Archi, when I ran this game, I was very interested, and the storyline was very appealing...but I cant get passed the story, lol. The story leads out, and it waits for input over and over...but then does nothing. Can you fix this and repost the zip? I am interested to see your game...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: