Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Holt Software News (FREE TURING)
Index -> Network News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

when i go on holtsoft's website it says it's "forbidden" Sad

can someone upload turing onto rapidshare or something?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

SJ @ 30th March 2008, 5:06 pm wrote:
when i go on holtsoft's website it says it's "forbidden" Sad

can someone upload turing onto rapidshare or something?

Unfrontly they never gave redistuion rights to any one, even tho the file was free for a time. When i e-mailed them asking for the right to host it on compsci.ca they did not reply.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

So what now? Turing dies?
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

Hopefully.
BigBear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

If Holt Software discontinues turing high schools will probably continue to use it to teach programming.
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

Probably not, the lack of support will kill it.

It's the same reason schools won't switch to OpenT.
Mackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

That's terrible! If Turing dies, so does half the forum. Sure there will be more intelligence going around, but with less traffic can the ad money support the site?

As for now, I am archiving and triple backing up my Turing program files, for future generations.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:05 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

StealthArcher @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm wrote:
Probably not, the lack of support will kill it.

Turing didn't offer much support to begin with, although I figure it's often just a perception that they could try to bother someone for it... and that there's a phone number listed somewhere.

Though even if the raw "I need HELPz with Turing!!!" traffic drops off, I don't think that would account for half the community. We might have been in trouble a couple of years ago, but now half of the raw traffic comes to /blog and the most concentrated activity happens during the DWITE rounds. Either is language independent.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

Well, we can only hope that this results in a more intelligent community. I'm very excited about all of things going on in the community lately. Plus what ever Tony has up his sleeve.
DaveAngus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

Thats too bad about Holtsoft.
My school uses them a lot for software.
I Smell Death

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

the one thing about the version that they are giving away on their site is that it doesn't compile programs into an exe file properly. to do it you will need a previous version.
shadowman544

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 am   Post subject: Re: Holt Software News (FREE TURING)

this angers me i had to search for like a month and a half to find a working download and now its free Evil or Very Mad
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: