Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the best RPG???
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nastynika

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:32 am   Post subject: What is the best RPG???

mass effect isnt to bad but i would have to say i am still a fan of the final fantasys
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:46 am   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

Final fantasy 12.
Mackie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:22 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

Actually I think you mean the Golden Sun series for the GBA.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:25 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

Golden Sun was not bad, i also like the tails series of games, epstaly tails of symptohean. PSO 1 and 2 for the game cube (and PS2 i think) where admazing too, tho PSU was not so great.

The mario rpg games where not bad as well but they where some what lacking in story and a bit to easy.

There are so many good RPGs out there that it is hard to pick a best.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

I rather enjoy playing Life.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:41 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

But there are too many spammers in RL.
lordroba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the best RPG???

I'd have to go with Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean for the SNES. The stories and battle systems were phenomenal.
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:57 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

SUPER MARIO RPG! ftw
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cavetroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:30 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the best RPG???

lordroba @ Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 pm wrote:
I'd have to go with Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean for the SNES. The stories and battle systems were phenomenal.

Seconded!
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:51 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

Super Mario RPG for the SNES.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

1. Earthbound
2. Final Fantasy 3 (6J)
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Seiken Denetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3, never released in English)
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Final Fantasy 8
7. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
8. Final Fantasy 2 (4)
9. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
10. Final Fantasy 7 (Completely over-rated)
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:38 am   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

how dare you put FF7 in rank 10 and call it "over rated"!

that is one of the best... top 3 at least

I'm still in love with Earthbound (I'm still hoping on the Mother games to be released in english.. hey I can hope) and Super Mario RPG... what ever happened to the version they were making for the 64 I heard about?
jernst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:03 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the best RPG???

Oblivion!
Mackie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:29 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

How can you put Morrowind before Oblivion? That doesn't even make sense.
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the best RPG???

It's all subjective guys.

For Morrwind/Oblivion, I felt that Morrowind was much more instrumental in paving the way for free-roaming RPGs than Oblivion was. Actually, I enjoyed Oblivion more, but it doesn't have as much signifance as Morrowind did.

As for Final Fantasy 7, you're seeing that game through rose-coloured glasses, my friend. Play that game today and you will see how the narrative falls flat on its' face. Apparently the plot was more coherent before the English translation, but I don't know Japanese so I'm judging it based on the English version. Final Fantasy 7 had absolutely amazing presentation... it was one of the first RPGs with 3D graphics, and it had gorgeous CG cutscenes... and this is what you're remembering from this game: the presentation.

Unlike some of the earlier Final Fantasy games (and more recently, some of the newer ones) where the characters had depth, the characters in FF7 were simply charicatures. The series had taken a step back from FF3 (6J) specifically in terms of the main protagonist. As cool as his hair is, Cloud is a horrible character. I was actually more interested in Zack (a secondary character) than I was in Cloud.

However, it still made my top 10. I'm only being so critical of it because everyone believes it to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. It's not. It is a loosely connected plot wrapped up in some revolutionary presentation with some great (albeit old/repetitive) Final Fantasy gameplay.

Why is Final Fantasy 8 ranked so high, you might ask? I don't think it was much better than Final Fantasy 7, but I admire the fact that they took alot more chances. The romantic sub-plot between Squall and Rinoa was actually pivotal to the game, and it was consistent throughout. I guess you could say it was pretty cliche, but it was something I hadn't seen in a Final Fantasy game, and I'm a hopless romantic. However, the GF magic system is arguably the worst thing to ever happen to to the FF battlesystem. If FF8 retained the FF7 materia system, I think it would have made one of my top 3 spots.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 46 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: