Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Game Development or Computer Science?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MrHippo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:14 am   Post subject: Game Development or Computer Science?

Hey!

Heh this is another question that's been nagging me lately (ever since I found out about Carleton's Game Development program):

If I want to get into the game development field in Canada, would it be better to go into a computer science program at a university like Waterloo or go into the more specialized game development option that's only offered at carleton? I'm not too sure about Carleton itself, and I don't really know if it's such a big difference, but I'm of the opinion it'd take more effort to get into the field with just a computer science degree (I heard employers wanna hire the Carleton grads). However, I'm also of the opinion that my opinion doesn't really matter when it comes to Comp. Science, which is why I ask =)

-MrHippo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 am   Post subject: RE:Game Development or Computer Science?

Game Dev is just one of many applications of Computer Science. With that in mind, one could get into Game Dev with CS, but if you specialize just in gaming, you might lack the wider understanding of the field to easily apply yourself to other parts of the field.

So how are you feeling about this field? Are you absolutely set of game dev? What kind of games have you made so far?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MrHippo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:50 am   Post subject: Re: Game Development or Computer Science?

Well, honestly, I haven't made much yet mostly because I'm a beginner programmer. While I wouldn't say my eyes are fully closed to other possibilities, game development is the area that I'm quite sure I'd like to go to. I wanted to be an animator, but due to my lack of art skill that didn't really work out x_x Either way, I'm starting to learn in order to get background before going to university, but, since I plan to go to university in the fall, I also have to think about what program to apply to.

I'm pretty sure I want to go to Waterloo or Guelph though, but I decided I'll visit the campuses first. I do want a general understanding instead of really specialized knowledge, so Computer Science is probably what I'll go for =) But yea, that's as far as applications go... Now it's a "simple" matter of getting some background in the field =P

-MrHippo
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 am   Post subject: RE:Game Development or Computer Science?

Keep your options open when you are studying.

Having a degree in "game development" isn't nearly as impressive as having a great portfolio and great knowledge of game development. You can do that studying Computer Science (****, you can do that studying anything), it's up to you and your ambition.

Studying Computer Science rather than Game Development (assuming you are in for the software side of it) has the added bonus of something to go back to if you decide that you really don't want to go to the video game industry after all.

Censored by Dan: Less swaering pleas.
Silent Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Game Development or Computer Science?

Personally I would go with computer science just because it's a more generalized and can sprout into more specialized fields. However if you're hellbent on being a a video game programmer go for it as long as you end up doing what you like that's all that matters.
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Game Development or Computer Science?

I originally wanted to do game dev. However, I decided that something more broad was better, and went into computer science. Now I've discovered so much more, and I have no clue what I want to do Razz
Bored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Game Development or Computer Science?

Well actually the Carleton Game Dev program is a Comp Sci (Hons) degree. Your still getting a comp sci degree, you just have to take certain courses to get the Game Dev part, and maintain an 80 avg as it's an Honours program. I've actually been accepted to Carleton for this program, I went to there Game Day to and it seems like they're really offering a great CS program and really want to prepare those who want it to get into the Game Dev field. However a degree at another school may seem more prestigious and may offer not necesarily more opportunities, but somewhat better ones outside of the Game Dev field. Really your descision should more be based on what school/program you think suits you best, because in the end no matter what you'll come out with a CS degree (if you get through and all) and you can take that anywhere.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: