Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Creating animated desktops?
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 2D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Silent Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm   Post subject: Creating animated desktops?

Does anyone know a good way to create good animated desktop wallpapers. I've tried it with animated gifs but the image quality isn't as great as a jpeg or bitmap image would be. Any help on this or even tips on making higher quality gifs would be greatly appreciated. Oh and btw I'm using fireworks as my image editor(it's all I have other than paint).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

There really is no good way.

Also, your signature image and avatar are gigantic. I thought we voted away that custom text colour tag...
Silent Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Creating animated desktops?

Ok thanks I'll see what I can do then. And I'll get on changing my profile it's been a while since I've been on here and the images don't seem so big with my resolution so thanks for letting me know.
Yukie.ai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

i personally dislike .gif animation because the quality seriously sucks...

normally, i would save all my aminated files as .png (default for fireworks)

so, i guess you could try that, if you haven't already done so?

the only disadvantage for .png files is the size (TOOOOOO BIG ><"")

other than that, i think it's the best O_o
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Creating animated desktops?

Javascript + Active Desktop if you don't mind seeing Active Desktop Recovery
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

In windows 98, animated desktops slowed everything horribly; I wonder if the same thing happens in XP & Vista.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

What's the point? It would just be distracting no? And I don't know about you, but when I'm on my computer, I'm not even looking at my desktop anyways.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

I hear that VLC player can be used to make videos play in place of the background.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Creating animated desktops?

I know Michael Geiss wrote a really nice background animator thing; colour ambients etc. Very processor-friendly too.

Link: http://www.geisswerks.com/
lordroba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Creating animated desktops?

This guy started making an animated mario desktop back in the day and it ran quite well. It might be a good reference for you to build your own. Here's the website: http://www.overdrawn.net/mario/
andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:08 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Creating animated desktops?

Euphoracle @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:57 pm wrote:
In windows 98, animated desktops slowed everything horribly; I wonder if the same thing happens in XP & Vista.

I don't think they're too slow with Vista because you can have DreamScene (high res videos) as your desktop with no lag (provided you have a decent rig).

Tony @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:57 pm wrote:
I hear that VLC player can be used to make videos play in place of the background.

You can, but you would have to launch VLC, start the video, right-click and click on Wallpaper. That's kind of a hassle to do every time you start up your computer.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 2D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: