Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CS at University of Windsor
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:13 pm   Post subject: RE:CS at University of Windsor

You post was very informative, so no complaints about the length, and I apologize for my previous assumtion, ma'am, it's just that we don't get much lady folk around these parts Razz.

Anyways, even in the first month of "advanced application development using vb" and java courses I'm much more satisfied. Especially with my VB teacher. He's explaining a lot of thinks and we've only used drag-and-drop for using data sources to review what we learned last year. Today we did a "half-code" example, and tomorrow apparantly we're coding to be doing it all coded.

I'm hoping the fact that it is college and is supposed to prepare a graduate for a job is suggesting the place is going to get better as the semesters go on, and I hope Windsor is like that, too.

And I do believe that Windsor has Co-op for CS programs, I thought I saw that when I skimmed Maclean's Universtiy review last week.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CS at University of Windsor

Aziz @ Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:13 pm wrote:
it's just that we don't get much lady folk around these parts Razz.

I'm here to ban you from the internet.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 pm   Post subject: RE:CS at University of Windsor

I would almost say that this thread was going well.
Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 am   Post subject: RE:CS at University of Windsor

:/ cant i take an IOU for that ban?
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:33 pm   Post subject: Re: CS at University of Windsor

ae @ Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm wrote:

Windsor... Not so hardcore. To be honest the first midterm for their 60-100 (Key Concepts of Computer Science) course was easier than the assignments at Waterloo. I've not really had to expend much thought or effort in trying to figure out solutions for problems once I figured out the syntax of Miranda.

I'm a little surprised that they're using Miranda when Haskell is pretty much established as its successor. Though I wouldn't use either in a first course, especially if only 10% of the class are CS majors. Maybe the error messages are more gentle in the Miranda system. Hugs/GHC stump me occasionally, and I understand type inference.

I'm also curious as to how much the functional approach is carried on in the rest of the curriculum, or if they just drop it and use C/C++/Java. I'm guessing the latter based on the calendar course descriptions. --PR
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: