Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DEATHRACE-Finish first, or not at all!
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
snakeplissken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:55 pm   Post subject: DEATHRACE-Finish first, or not at all!

DEATHRACE is a two-player vehicular "combat" game. And by combat I mean you can push the other player around. Squish more mutant tomatoes (that's right, mutant tomatoes) than the other player in the time allotted to win. The controls, and a slightly more detailed (but still just as lousy) plot are featured in-game.

It should be noted that the game is slightly censored, with tomatoes replacing little people, and the TomatoTime "disclaimer." You can (mostly) uncensor it by swapping the names of two files ("tomato.jpg" and "guy.jpg") located in the graphics folder. This means you can run down all the people you want, you sick person.

Also included are several alternate title screens. Since I changed the run window size to fit the minuscule resolution of the computers at school, they don't look right in-game. Consider them "concept art."

If you feel the need, you can add your own cars and music. All the assets are right there, ready for editing. Just be sure to leave the filenames as they are.

DEATHRACE.rar
 Description:
Compressed in .rar format. You'll need WinRAR or some alternative to open it.

Download
 Filename:  DEATHRACE.rar
 Filesize:  2.39 MB
 Downloaded:  366 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:59 am   Post subject: Re: DEATHRACE-Finish first, or not at all!

lmao, this is pretty funny.
I really love the finish screen, it looks pretty kool. What font is that? I think I may have it, not sure.

Anyways, it would make a bit more sense if the splats the tomatoes make scrolled downward to make more of an effect that the vehicle is moving.

Other than that, pretty neat!
snakeplissken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:49 pm   Post subject: Re: DEATHRACE-Finish first, or not at all!

Thanks. The font is called Rez (has nothing to do with the game of the same name), it can be downloaded at http://www.dafont.com/rez.font

The splats are drawn using Pic.Draw rather than as sprites, so scrolling them would involve drawing over them and then redrawing the image a few pixels lower- this covers up the cars as well, provided they are stationary at the time. Using sprites would cause the splat to appear above the car, and would require a good many sprites- this, I found, was fairly CPU intensive and caused a lot of slowdown, even if they were unloaded after reaching the bottom of the screen. Leaving the splats onscreen was the simplest answer, though I'm sure scrolling them can be done. Plus, it allows you to see how much devastation you've caused, which is fun, though admittedly unrealistic.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: