Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Frames
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:47 pm   Post subject: Frames

Well, I have a big exam in comp sci coming up. And all i am good at is Turing i forgot most of my html skils

Could someone post a small - large tutorial on Frames?

that would be great.

*BLONDE BOUNCIES ARE THE BEST*
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
JSBN

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sure, just give me a sec
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well just to let you know... HTML is not a programming language, it shouldnt even be tought in compsci Confused

second, even if HTML is tough, FRAMES are old, outdated and noone is using them anymore... I truly dont see a point in having them...

But yeah, JSBN and PHP God are our HTML experts at the moment... ask them
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
octopi

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, html is not included under the ICS3M curriculum.
But.......
It should be included in my oppinion.
Anyways, Frames = BAD

They have a purpose, but they get annoying. Especially sites that use them just to put a banner at the top of the screen.

IFRAMES can be useful if you need to include stuff in the middle of the page, but they are highly UNSUPPORTED.

I find iframes useful for when I am developing something I know will only be used on systems with IE, and only when they are absolutly needed.
JSBN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

usually it's taught in business tech.
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
well just to let you know... HTML is not a programming language, it shouldnt even be tought in compsci Confused

then why is it called Hypertext Markup Language? Is it just a fancy name or am i wrong?
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

theres a difference between programming and markup languages
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeahyeah
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

markup language is essensially tags that tell text how to display. Its really no different from a MS Word documen, its just that all the bold and italic and whatnot tags are not displayed.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i knew that Rolling Eyes its all the same difference
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

frames are nasty... they can sometimes be used and look OK if the person knows what they are doing (for layouts... tables and includes are your friend Very Happy). iframes are a bad idea to use because only IE supports them :/
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just give the man what he wants already Rolling Eyes Razz
and i dont see any reason for Frames being Bad... except that some old browsers don't support them...Confused well i say ppl stupid enough to use those browsers can go screw themselves...
here's a big ass tutorial on frames...
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer_simpson wrote:
just give the man what he wants already Rolling Eyes Razz

lol well considering this topic is from may I am going to assume he already found what he wanted or failed his test...
krishon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, frames are ok if u know how to use them...for example if ur whole page is made up of frames and u have a navigation bar in one of the frames, only that frame will change not the page...technically u have have tens of page on one page Very Happy
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

PaddyLong wrote:
frames are nasty... they can sometimes be used and look OK if the person knows what they are doing (for layouts... tables and includes are your friend Very Happy). iframes are a bad idea to use because only IE supports them :/

Actually, in the new W3C standards, tables are depreciated for layout, and the use of CSS for layout is encouraged. Tables were only meant to be a way to format data, anyway.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: