Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Question on relative positioning of <div>s
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 am   Post subject: Question on relative positioning of <div>s

I designed a webpage under 800x600 resolution. I used lots of <div> tags and used absolute positioning. It looks wonderful under that resolution.

However, when I switched to 1024x768 resolution, the webpage looks horrendous because all its contents were on the left and there's a HUGE blank space on the right.

Is it possible to make the divisions display in the centre instead?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 am   Post subject: RE:Question on relative positioning of <div>s

Make a main div, put all your content in it and for that div give it:
css:

margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;

That should center your content. You can do it for each individual section too (header, body, footer etc) up to you :/
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:06 am   Post subject: Re: Question on relative positioning of <div>s

No luck. Sad
code:
div{
        border: 1px solid black;
        background-color: #ffd2a6;
        padding: 0px;
}
#title{
        width: 750px;
        height: 160px;
}
<div id = "title">

That's what I wrote... and my Internet explorer is still justifying it to the left.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:10 am   Post subject: RE:Question on relative positioning of <div>s

Don't do it for all the divs, do it for one main div id that encompasses the rest of the divs you want centered example:
HTML:

<div id="main">

<div id="top">
</div>
<div id="middle">
</div>
<div id="bottom">
</div>

</div>

Then your css for #main would have:
css:

#main {
}
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Question on relative positioning of <div>s

Also, something like 5% use 800x600 resolution

Though then again designing for any particular resolution assumes the full-screen browser window.

Liquid CSS design for the win! (using relative widths)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:03 am   Post subject: Re: Question on relative positioning of <div>s

Thanks so much, Amailer. You helped me so much so far. You deserve some karma applauds.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 am   Post subject: RE:Question on relative positioning of <div>s

Thanks Very Happy
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: