Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 try ruby! (in your browser)
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
haskell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 pm   Post subject: try ruby! (in your browser)

http://tryruby.hobix.com/

Its good if you wanna give it a shot before you download it.

It also has a basic tutorial integrated in.

Enjoy Smile.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

This has been posted around a lot, but thanks. Smile
haskell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:22 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

Probably, but it isn't placed in a sticky yet...

I personally don't know what I would do without this in our research classes in the Computer Lab. I mean, its fun it play with lol. Only issue is that it doesn't allow any of the imports(require) that i've tried -.- .
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

Why don't you just install Ruby on the computer? Heck, you could install it to your own personal space, I think. It's not that big.

I've submitted it to go into the Ruby Links section. Unfortunately, I can't approve it myself, as I'm not a Ruby mod. Yar!
haskell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:16 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

Hehe.

Problem is that this particular lab is running a Windows server -.-. No command prompt access. I could install it to my personal space, but it wouldn't do me any good. Hence why I use this online interactive intepreter.
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: try ruby! (in your browser)

If you install ruby, all *.rb files can be double clicked upon and the file will automatically execute. If you must, just have a "stop = gets" or something at the end so you can see output.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:17 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

Or you could use something like SciTE (which is included in the windows all in one installer) to run the command for you and capture the output into its own output window.
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:02 am   Post subject: Re: try ruby! (in your browser)

Yes, but if I remember correctly, you can't actually see input when executing code within Scite, and you won't see that input until the program finishes executing (or at least for me, perhaps I just did something wrong). This is why I prefer using the command line Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:01 pm   Post subject: RE:try ruby! (in your browser)

Yeah, input probably won't work well. However, do you really need to do input? It's also possible to fake it by putting your input into a text file and getting your program to read that.
syntax_error

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:14 pm   Post subject: Re: try ruby! (in your browser)

hmmm....as far as i know
it is very easy to get around the command problem
simply create a new txt file type in command.com
and save it as a .bat file
and you should have access to it once again
most things that the schools blocks from access are easily accessible with a little thinking
Idea
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: