Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Text database; Which language?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Vertico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:10 pm   Post subject: Text database; Which language?

I've been trying to keep track of quite a bit of information over the last year on my computer, but it has become very cluttered and I want to make a nice program that will keep this information for me. Pretty much, i plan to make a text database for myself to keep everything in order.

I'm not sure what language I should use to write this program and thats why I am asking. I was thinking of doing it in Java, but ruby might be better. Any suggestions with reasoning behind it would be greatly appreciated.

By database, i mean a program which will store the information for me in perhaps some .txt files where i can edit, add, remove, view, etc.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Text database; Which language?

I suggest Ruby because it will take you half the time to program it than with Java. See wtd's rant regarding "alternative" programming languages.

Also, Ruby is generally slower at run-time than Java but it shouldn't matter since this is only text.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Text database; Which language?

You don't want a flat-file text database. You want a real relational database, but without the hassle of having a server.

I suggest SQLite + Ruby.
Windsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:55 am   Post subject: RE:Text database; Which language?

The question that first comes to my head is "what information is it, and how will you want to access/organize it?"
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: