Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hosting and Ads
Index -> Network News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
octopi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Hosting and Ads

md, not sure what you mean, but perhaps you mean this...

I use everydns.net for free dns, they let you make your own, a,cname, and mx records.

http://www.everydns.net

they let you add as many domains as you have/want so its kind of nice! (i use them for all my domains)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Hosting and Ads

www.dyndns.org - free and paied
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

Sweet. Thx Windsurfer, it's appreciated Smile

Also.. ekk.. it appears there's another clone of me that has been spawned! I mean... hey md, how it's going?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
agnivohneb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

If you don't mind I will put a ad on my site if you have a 468x60 banner. It may help bring more people to the site.
md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

I'm using mydomain as a register (pretty cheap @ $8.50 a year) and they offer free DNS etc. too. Then I'll just use google's domain services for mail Razz

I'm doing great tony! Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Hosting and Ads

md @ Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:53 pm wrote:
I'm using mydomain as a register

Hey, me too! How well suited to highlight the new title!

I don't think they register .ca domains, but I've been fairly happy MyDomain otherwise. The DNS resolves instantly - I can buy a new domain and have a functional site up and running in minutes!
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Tycoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Hosting and Ads

Just so I get in on the topic, I use namecheap.com as my registar Smile
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

How much bandwidth does this site use up in a month?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Hosting and Ads

Robert @ 20th January 2007, 12:06 pm wrote:
How much bandwidth does this site use up in a month?

We use about 1GB per day on just the forum, however we are expanding in a few areas like blogs, wiki, dwite and some other projects so i suspect the bandwidth to keep going up. However this is out of 2.6TB so we are almost using nothing.

Space wise the site takes up about 4GB and grows at a rate of about 1GB per month, however if the site and other projects get more popualr i see this growth becoming much greater. This is out of 220GB we have in total.

Also our host increases our totals by a given amount each week and will some time give use bonuses like doubling our disk space or bandwidth for free.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 am   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

dan, how much extra space on my ftp can i buy for 20 bucks usd?
syntax_error

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Hosting and Ads

um.............. just new and all but why don't u use a 3rd level hoster its free here a ling for more information: here I mean sure u have u put in .ca.tf but still it FREE and no long webhoster name work with or without www i no that running a forum maybe different but look at it at least
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

I'm sure if you couldn't pay for a .ca you would go for one of those (.ath.cx Very Happy), but why would you go from a first level domain to a third level domain (if you can afford the first level Razz)?
md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:33 am   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

Why would anyone want a 3rd level domain? That's like advertising the fact that you are too cheap to be able to pay for things. If you want to look unprofessional I suppose... but I'll stick with my first level domains thank you very much!
syntax_error

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Hosting and Ads

well maybe 3rd level hosting looks cheap but for like small sites and likefree bloggers it ok...... i guess for a big forum like this 1 i guess not.... o well the ads don't kill any1 either..
p.s. if any1 whats to complain then go ahead and pay for the site!
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Hosting and Ads

For an even cheaper hosting, why not set up Apache on your computer and have it accessable through your IP? Forget domain name registration Wink Actually that is how we started out, but quickly run into technical limitations.

That's why we pay for web hosting.
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 37 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: