Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 3d studio max question...
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:50 pm   Post subject: 3d studio max question...

well since i didn't know where to post this i posted it here.... move it if u need asok...

well here's the question:
let's say i have sphere.... then i convert it to editable mesh... do some changing(moving vertexes around...), now i need to add some more vertexes to some parts of my model... is that possible?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes, use cut, but here's how to do it properly so that you dont cut the wrong thing.

turn on your 2D lock (might be 2.5, not sure) it looks like a magnet with 2 writen on it. Then go into its options (right click on it I guess)

there you can mess up with what king of things your mouse cursor will lock on. Make sure that midpoint of an edge is selected. (might be just called midpoint).

now grab your cut tool (press the cut botton) and start cutting Very Happy when you hover over the edge, it should lock on its midpoint and after cut a new vertex will be created there.

(you can also use plane cut, where it cuts the whole object (or just faces selected).

Another way of doing that is to chamfer (not sure of spelling), thats where you take an existing vertex and spliting it into atleast 3 new ones. Useful if you want to have a pole sticking out of a face, but you just got one vertex there.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes the third way is exactly what i need... could u elaborate on doing that one...
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or use extrude and extrude a poly or two
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer - you select the point you want to split and scroll down to Edit Geometry, there you sroll down till Chamfer and input a number next to it. That number is the distance in units of how far away from the vertex you want to create new ones. When you click chamfer your selected vertex will become 4 new ones the w/e distance you specified away.

PaddyLong - instead of extrude, you would use outline, that way you dont have to bring vertixes back down and worry about allighning them properly Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or use type in extrude and put in 0 fro teh value
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: