Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Senor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

really good, very very helpful to newbies like me, learning it in school, trying to get ahead of the game Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

BenLi wrote:
I think something that hasn't been discussed and stressed enough is proper style with procedures and functions. Stuff like global variables and parameters.

It is my belief that simply placing more emphasis on fucntions and procedures and parameters would greatly reduce such problems.

The key, I think, is to make sure that the scope of the problem posed to a student does not eclipse the capabilities of the tools to which they have been exposed. In other words: do not ask a student to create even the simplest game before you teach them to create functions and procedures, or you will get bad style code.
War_Caymore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yay! now i can learn turing!

Thank you cervantes, if i would have noticed this before, then i would have read it. but right now i have no time to read it. i will later then i will begin to input programs into the turing source code.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It strikes me that a Turing style guideline could be a very good thing.

• Comment formatting standards
  • General code formatting suggestions
  • Formatting guidelines with regards to specific syntactic constructs
  • Semantic guidelines (scoping and functions vs. procedures, for instance)
  • Naming conventions for variables, functions, procedures, types, classes, modules, etc.
latifmasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Can anyone give me a brief explanation on sprites?
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There are a few ways you can go about doing sprites. You can either have an array of images and cycle though them but you will have to keep track of which one is being displayed or you can have a linked list. The latter is more advanced but easier if you know how to make them.
tooring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks for this, still new to turing
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Welcome to CompSci.ca!

Feel free to browse around our excellent tutorials, post questions in [Turing Help], post your nifty source code in [Turing Source Code] and cool apps in [Turing Applications]. Also, look around the other forums like [General Programming], [General Discussion] and anywhere else. Hope you learn something while you're here!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've updated the Walkthrough. It's now in Version 2! Huzaa! Posts beyond this post are probably about version 2. Posts before this post are about version 1.
Please comment on Version2. How can I improve it?

For archival purposes, here is version 1.

Version 1.0

Are you new to programming? Are you new to Turing? Are you learning, but not a complete n00bz0rz? Either way, this walkthrough is for you. If you are new to Turing, start at the beginning. If you already know some stuff, sift through the titles until you find the next thing you need to learn.
You may have never heard of some of the topics in this walkthrough, but that doesn't matter. Everything is sorted based on when you should learn it.
What's more, this walkthrough contains suggestions for programs to write to solidify your understanding of the concepts taught in these tutorials. The program suggestions are imbedded into the tutorial list at the appropriate point. Keep in mind that they are merely suggestions. You don't necessarily have to write the programs, though it is recommended that you frequently write programs that use the ideas taught if you are new to programming.

What's that, you say? "I'm NOT new to programming, but you went babbling on as though I was! How rude!"
My apologies. Most of the tutorials in this walkthrough are aimed towards those who are new to Turing and to programming in general, and will therefore go at a slower pace than someone who is an experienced programmer (with other languages) would desire. That said, if you want to go at a faster pace, you can start with a quick runthrough, up to Mouse.Where, by Token.
If anyone is interested in writting quality fast paced tutorials, feel free to do so. Make sure they don't overlap what Token has already done, mind you! When there are more, I will create a section after the Walkthrough called "Runthrough.

This walkthrough is like a book, except it's pieced together from articles written by different people. As a result, writing and teaching styles will change; what's more, naming conventions may change from one article to the next. This is regrettable. The best thing you can do is to follow the conventions, yourself, even if you are from time to time reading some code that doesn't follow these conventions. So, while working through this walkthrough, keep the Style Guidelines handy and refer to it often.

Walkthrough
{

}

If you have any questions about anything covered in this walkthrough, please do not ask them here. Make a thread in the [Turing Help] forum.

Broken links? Want to write a tutorial? Private Message me.
If you have any comments/suggestions as to the order of this tutorial, the concepts covered/not covered, or the coding suggestions, please let us know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Excellently done once again Minsclevernuts! Claping

One thing I might change is putting arrays before string manipulation. After all, strings in Turing act a lot like character arrays, which I suspect they are when compiled to C/C++ code.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Excellent Minsc! I like the idea of seperating the tutorials into different sub-categories. Perhaps this will help get the idea across to newer students that graphics are not the most important thing in the world. I also agree with [Gandalf] that arrays might be able to go before string manipulation, but I guess it doesn't really matter Very Happy Good stuff once again.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I too thought about this. The thing is that the current String Manipulation tutorial does not require a previous knowledge of arrays. If the student gets through the string manipulation tutorial, he should be good for arrays, since he's already been doing them, sort of, without knowing it.

But that's probably a bad idea. I suppose it should be switched. Switching it, however, would mean that string manipulation basically becomes an exercise in arrays, and not much of a tutorial is needed.

I suppose I should make the change. I'll do it tomorrow, I think. I'd to give the change for some more feedback.

Also, here's a question (or two): what about enumerated types? Should they be in the essentials section? I think they're probably important, but under-used. Also, what do you think about the inclusion of the bitwise operators tutorial?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, that's where it becomes a bit more confusing. Thus far, the "Essentials" section seems to be a general concepts section. To better categorize each tutorial you can divide this into essential concepts and additional or more rarely used concepts.
GeoBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:50 pm   Post subject: RE:The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End

oo thank you very much kind sir
rahzab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:43 am   Post subject: Re: The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End

I think the tutorial is great, even though I'm probably understanding maybe 1/3 of it. Just wanted to know if there was a link on how to set background music, cause the help on turing is no help at all... Confused

oh, and thanks, its been great help!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 6  [ 80 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: