Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [WIP] Draft of Style Guidelines
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I, on the other hand, find using this_kind_of name easier to read as it leaves some space in between seperate words (thereby making it easier to read), but, to each his own I suppose.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I use underscores for variables, and it makes things a lot easier to read. I use CamelCase for functions though, in part because they then stand out from variables, and in part because of habit.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i use the underscores only in parameter variables...

as for comments, i do it on the same line as the code, with the expetion of a few things which i have to fully type out... like crazy collition crap.

code:

proc setUnitHealth (unitHealth_: string)  %% A comment like this for here
    unitHealth := unitHealth_
end setUnitHeath

preferences i suppose.
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I find that if you need a comment that will still fit on the line of code that it is used for, you don't need it, becuase the code should be fairly well explained that it doesn't need that short of a comment. This of course is different when it comes to crazy algorithms and such, but then you just comment on the line above.

@TokenHerbz : thats "collision", you keep spelling it wrong.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

TokenHerbz wrote:
i use the underscores only in parameter variables...

I think this is a bad distinction to make. Parameters are so much like regular variables that I think they should have the same naming convention.

Also, your style uses both CamelCase and underscores. What's the purpose of the underscore at the end of the parameter name? Is it just to stand out and say, "I am a parameter"? Ideally, you should only be using parameters in your subroutines, so there should be no need for your parameters to stand out, since they would all stand out equally.
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think he means whenever he is using a class or something and he has values that he wants to have the "same" name so he adds the underscore to the end of the name to distinguish the parameters and the class variables ie:

Turing:

class Foo
    export bar

var baz, floo : int

procedure bar (baz_, floo_ : int)
        baz := baz_
        floo := floo_
    end bar
end Foo

see? Wink

NOTE: I have seen you do this very thing in your classes tutorials Cervantes, just to show you what I mean.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ah! Yeah, I could dig that.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about "newBazValue" or "initialBazValue"?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, I suppose that could work too, but the underscore after parameters in classes, and only classes, is pretty much automatic for me, and possibly others as well. For me it keeps things organized, and I can easily tell what is what at first glance. Although, I also see what you mean wtd. I suppose either way works, just keep it constant.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This is why I like the 'this' keyword, it makes the distinction between two variables with the same name much more obvious.

About the commenting, I see what you mean wtd, but I wouldn't go so far as saying this is always the case. Comments aren't always used to explain the code in question, they can also contain things like previously tested arguments, no?
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You're talking about commenting out test code?
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually I think he is talking more about commenting about stuff that was tried, but failed, or is a work in progress (correct me if I'm wrong).
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I see nothing wrong with that, but it should be accompanied by a well-formed comment indicating that.
iamcow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would like to add to the style guidelines:

Rand.Int is preferred over randint

A function that returns a value is preferred over a procedure that changes the parameters that it is given.

And from a very practical point of view:

scenario: drawing random circles

code:

loop
var x,y,xrad,yrad, cred,cgreen,cblue:=0
randint (x,0,maxx)
randint (y,0,maxy)
randint (xrad,1,200)
randint (yrad,1,200)
randint (cred,1,1000)
randint (cgreen,1,1000)
randint (cblue,1,1000)
drawfilloval (x,y,xrad,yrad,RGB.AddColor (cred/1000,cgreen/1000,cblue/1000))
end loop

Now with Rand.Int:

code:

loop
    drawfilloval (Rand.Int (0, maxx), Rand.Int (0, maxy), Rand.Int (5, 200), Rand.Int (5, 200), RGB.AddColor (Rand.Real, Rand.Real, Rand.Real))
end loop

we've both decreased the lines and the number of global variables

Also, efficiency runtime - wise

code:

for i : 1 .. 500
    var x, y, xrad, yrad, cred, cgreen, cblue := 0
    randint (x, 0, maxx)
    randint (y, 0, maxy)
    randint (xrad, 1, 200)
    randint (yrad, 1, 200)
    randint (cred, 1, 1000)
    randint (cgreen, 1, 1000)
    randint (cblue, 1, 1000)
    drawfilloval (x, y, xrad, yrad, RGB.AddColor (cred / 1000, cgreen / 1000, cblue / 1000))
end for
put Time.Elapsed

code:

for i: 1..500
    drawfilloval (Rand.Int (0, maxx), Rand.Int (0, maxy), Rand.Int (5, 200), Rand.Int (5, 200), RGB.AddColor (Rand.Real, Rand.Real, Rand.Real))
end for
put Time.Elapsed

After running both one concludes also that Rand.Int is faster. Perhaps not directly, but in the structure of the program when Rand.Int is used
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

iamcow that is a common thing seen in many early Turing programs. Maybe wtd could add in a section about the downside of procedures that use var parameters.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: