Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 new ontario marking scheme (levels)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you notice a difference with the levels?
(No ending time set)
my marks went up
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
my marks went down
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
my marks didn't change
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
my school doesn't use the levels
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:47 am   Post subject: new ontario marking scheme (levels)

this is something that seems interesting to me... pretty much anyone who doesn't go to my school that I talk to seems to be getting far higher marks than anyone at my school
for example... some girl who goes to my school and is like one of the top 2 or 3 students graduating (so she's obviously pretty smart) got turned down from a couple universities because her average wasn't a 90 or something... but at our school the highest you can really get is an 89 (sometimes you can get a low 90, but those are rare) and that's doing really well (like the smartest kids at our school get 89's type of thing)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
krishon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ye..same...but i dunno the marking scheme in my private school has changed.....i have an 89 for the final term....but i can do much better...ppl at my school have 97 avgs... Shocked i know its nuts...
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

let's just say I have 4 +'s after my A currently, I don't see how that's supposed to work but I wont complain Smile
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

some teachers in my school use it some dont
some of them use it stupidly tho, for examples shell give a lvl 4 on a perfect paper then count it in the final mark as an 85
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about Catalyst... the levels are too limiting compressing a range of 50 marks into 12 ... that just doesn't cut it

(not that I care any more... was just curious to see what was happening at other schools)
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont think we use levels... much... I know I'm getting 95 in compsci and we got that one girl in school thats getting like 99.5 in bio Shocked
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
naoki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think there's supposed to be some new marking scheme, but only the science teachers use it. basically instead of giving you one mark they split it up into knowledge & understanding, inquiry, making connections and application (not sure about last one).

that makes it really confusing, because she'll never give us a direct mark, but she's never disagreed when we take our mark as the total. so, is this the marking scheme you guys are talking about?
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's part of it... but rather than getting an actual percentage, you just get like a 1, 2, 3 or 4 and then added on can be +/- the way it works at my school is that 1 is 55 and 1- is 52 and 1+ is 57 and then it goes like that for 2 and 3 but with 60's (ie 62, 65, 67) and 70's and then a 4 is 89 4- is 83 and 4+ is 93 ... basically it's like the letter grades but with numbers
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the science thing is so gay... i'm failing science cause i dun have any communication skills
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the level system is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do they think teachers can't count or something? If they are just replacing A,B,C,D with 1,2,3,4 then the board should all be fired because that's a total waste of money to keep them there. The money could then be used to increase teacher's sallaries because to be honest, they deserve more than what they get now.
krishon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ye...i agree too...its a useless system
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm i think they just don't want students in canada to get close to 100% or something? maybe so they can keep the students in canada instead of having them move on over to the states?
krishon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's stupid...if ur reaosn is really true, kill whoever is in charge of education....but it depends...if the brain drain is really really big...then they have a point, otherwise...its stupid.
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SilverSprite, that's flawed logic because the minister of education would want reports to show higher marks to display he's doing a good job not lower marks. Why would the minister of education diliberately harm their own reputation? Your reasoning doesn't make sense.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

aren't we copying the states then? if we are using level 1 - 4, they have been using it for a long long time now....maybe it's because we are so close to USA?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 39 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: