Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Directx or OpenGl?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Tutorials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:29 pm   Post subject: Directx or OpenGl?

hey guys, i wanted to look into 3d game programming using OpenGl and or dx(9).I am planning to go into game programming as a specialization when i go to university next year so i just wanted to look over some opengl,dx programming in C\C++..so what do you guys suggest.From what i know and what i have been told, since games are made primarily for windows environments, the developers use DX programming rather then OpenGL.I just wanted to know what you guys think because i dont wanna go and get books for the wrong topic lol, but i guess it can't hurt if i do OpenGl Very Happy..thanks in advance.

EDIT: slightly off-topic, but related to game programming.What books would you guys suggest/recommend me getting from the following list, or if you know any other, that would be greatly appreciated:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-3884793-7818409?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beginning+game+programming
Thanks again Very Happy..its just that our school's compisc (java) is going SOO slow i want to do some programming on my own on the side Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I applaud your initiative, but OpenGL and DirectX are both Big and Scary(tm).

You can learn a lot on your own without jumping straight into the deep end. Smile
md

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Almost certainly no University specializes in games, maybe graphics or something, but that wouldn't be until upper years. And usually you don't learn APIs like OpenGL or DirectX until after you do it all from scratch.

I'd learn OpenGL if you really want to learn something though.
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the reply guys Very Happy, i think i will go with OpenGl first as its "less-complicated" according to my friends.But one argument, arent most games made in directX?..since games are primarily windows architecture based, but either way..OpenGL or directX, they both require understanding of programming fundamentals, geometry,and a LOT of math, lol, but im willing to learn all that my brain can handle Razz, im just geting boored of my java class so im doing something "fun" on the side Very Happy..its either extra programming, or playing WoW (not anymore but just saying) or doing anatomy, and i rather do anything then do anatomy lol
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Read Graphics in C and C++.

Games are made about equally in DirectX and OpenGL, and OpenGL can definately make Windows games. They are both, as wtd said, hard to learn and intimidating for the beginner. That said, I'd try SDL first, which will give you a slightly smoother introduction to graphics APIs.
Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Keep in mind that video game programming isn't all about the graphics, and a good knowledge of programming in general is just as helpful.
If you're interested, though, you might try checking out current Open Source projects, like Tremulous or Stratagus.

If you're learning OpenGL, the Getting Started FAQ at Open GL here might help.

Also, a comparison of OpenGL and Direct3D here

Lastly, there's a program at McMaster in Software Engineering and Game Design if you haven't heard of it already.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Douglas wrote:
good knowledge of programming in general is just as helpful

Couldn't have said it better myself.
md

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would argue that knowing graphics is less important then anything else. You can have a great game with mediocre graphics, it's the idea behind teh game that counts. For example Defcon ("Everybody dies", such a great line) uses very simple graphics, and yet it seems like it's a great game.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

read up about directX and openGL on wikipedia. directX is more popular amounst games (targeting windows os of course), while openGL is used in most applications.
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
read up about directX and openGL on wikipedia. directX is more popular amounst games (targeting windows os of course), while openGL is used in most applications.

true, so its good to learn both i guess, or should i say i eventually have to learn both lol.But should i start with OpenGL as it is apparently "easier", or does it matter?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ultimately it's up to you, but I'll say again here's the priorities I would put on learning the various APIs:
1. SDL
2. OpenGL (as a sort of extension of SDL)
3. DirectX
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

So you're walking down the same road I am... Im learning C++ right now too, though not from a class, im learning it on my own. I'm going through the beginnings of DirectX right now, because thats what my textbook is using for the sample games.

So, what are the differences between Java and C++ (the important ones)?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Mr. Gruntsworthy wrote:
So, what are the differences between Java and C++ (the important ones)?

The differences are many, both superficial and complex, and in writing complex apps, they are all important, as they all represent potential pitfalls.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, but if i learn one (like C++ as i am now), will that give me a good head start on the other?
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dx10 ftw!

but seriously. directx isnt that bad... it might seem harder than ogl, but it just needs some getting used to
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: