Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] Stop At Nothing (file now exists)
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How was it?
(No ending time set)
Amazing
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Good
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Needs improvement
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Horrible
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

NickGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm   Post subject: [FP] Stop At Nothing (file now exists)

This is the final project that I made for grade 11 computer science. I decided to make a first person space shooter for Turing.

In this game, imagine that you are the gunner in a spaceship, where the arrow keys direct a turret on the front of the ship. Z speeds the ship up, and spacebar fires (You can find these controls in the "instructions" section anyway). The right meter is health, the left meter is speed, and the top one is seconds remaining on the timer. Try to shoot all the enemies with the laser before the time runs out! If you would like, try it with a usb joystick. This has worked for me with an old microsoft tilt-sensitive controller, and I would like to hear how it works with other methods of input. This is my first game, and so I am very interested in comments and suggestions.

In the submitted ISU version, the menu screen had music. However, since it is not my song, I will refrain from uploading it. (If anyone wants to listen to it while playing, it is "I Know You Are But What Am I" by Mogwai). The sound effects were from http://flashkit.com. The fonts were Korunishi and Zoomgroove, both availiable at http://www.1001fonts.com.

I hope you has as much fun playing it as I did making it!
Edit: Added file. Thanks for the space, Hacker Dan

Edit #2 (adding in all of the questions in the "rules" thread)
A description of what it is exactly that your project does:
-It is a space shooter game
A description of your programming experience:
-One semester of programming (grade 11)
A list of all of the features of your program:
-Approaching ships get brighter depending on distance, using the RGB module
-Defeated ships explode and fragment
-Game over fade out/pixellate effect
-Joystick control
-level/difficulty select, etc.
A list of any known bugs in the program:
-I have played through the game, and did not experience any bugs. There may be random bugs though, that I did not run into. Please let me know if you find any. The options menu takes a couple seconds to load, but it does appear.
Any features that you plan(ed) to add:
-Easier level editing (the text files are not exactly intuitive)
-Starfield that moves depeding on where you are looking

Edit 3: added source

Stop at Nothing.rar
 Description:
Here it is!

Download
 Filename:  Stop at Nothing.rar
 Filesize:  6.99 MB
 Downloaded:  293 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
upthescale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where's the game? lol
NickGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Confused Sorry about that, I was waiting for extra upload space, and I must have submitted it by accident. I will edit it when I have space for the game.

Edit: File is there now
upthescale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hurry up man i wanan see this game im so stocked!

*EDIT-u shud edit the title to let ppl no u have the file

*EDIY AGAIN- how do u play ? lol it doesnt werk for me
NickGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What sort of troubles are you having with playing? I am asking this here instead of by pm in case other people have the same problems. Just remember that you don't actually control the ship, simply aim for the ships coming towards you with the arrow keys.

Edit: Did you make sure to extract the files into another directory?
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

.. .it is awfully slow.. . i really disagree with making games 1024 res in turing.. . turings slow enuf as it is :S i will try again downstairs on faster pc when i have time.. . but all i was able to do is make the bar on the left go up and down. . i saw a blue dot. .thought i shot . .. bout it ... wasnt able to move target with arrow keys to point closer to blue dot
upthescale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thank you@!!!! when i move the arrow keys the screen does nothing, and i just gie, nice effect when u die tho
NickGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok, there seems to be a bit of trouble with the controls. The aimer in the centre doesn't actually move. When you move around, the whole view moves, and you are trying to place the target in the crosshairs. Think of it like most first person shooter games where the characters view moves around, but the gun is always pointing in the centre of the screen. About the speed issues, I agree, I think that is one of the main limitations of the game. I coded it mostly at my house, and I didn't really notice speed problems until I tried it out at school.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
upthescale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I get it now thanks alot man! its fun good stuff
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: