Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP]Wolfenstein 3D
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What do you think?
(No ending time set)
Amazing
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Good
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Needs Improvement
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Horrible
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

HellblazerX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:30 pm   Post subject: [FP]Wolfenstein 3D

This is a remake of the classic game, Wolfenstein 3D. The game is this:

You are Captain William J. "B.J." Blazkowicz, and you are being held in Castle Wolfenstein, the secret Nazi fortress/lab. The idea of the game is to go through the levels, getting to the elevators to escape Castle Wolfenstein. The original Wolfenstein had about 6 Episodes, each with about 9-10 maps. I only have 3 maps... but it's still just as fun Very Happy .

Anyways, so some changes are:
- Included the double barrel shotgun as a weapon
- You have to reload, whereas in the original game you can just spam shots like crazy.
- Since I couldn't get my hands on the original sprites, I used some others that I got from Monkee's Image World.
I was never able to get the original Wolfenstein 3D to work on my computer, so I'm not sure how much different my game is from the original.

Warning: This game contains images that depict Nazism and Adolf Hitler. If you are offended by these things, I recommend that you do not download and play this game.

Later, I'll come out with a version that doesn't contain these images. Also, this game is made in Java, and I was too lazy to make an Applet version of it, so for those without Java, sorry. The next version will also be in Applet format.

Instructions are in the game, so read it! To run the game, run the Java file called RunThis.java.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that is truly amazing!!! i haven't seen such a good game since evasive maneuvers. just wondering how do u make a map like that in java?
+bits for u!
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it's called raycasting

good effort, two things to keep in mind if you're updating

should really add a cross hair
the turn controls are too sensitive
DIIST

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I remember this game, i used to play it on my old computer which still had a turbo button Laughing . Good times. Very well done ! Very Happy
HellblazerX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually thought about putting in crosshairs, but the original Wolfenstein didn't have those. I'll put them in for the next version, because I decided to put in recoil in. Btw, Andy, you're the first person to tell me the controls are too sensitive. My friends keep telling me the turning is too slow. I'll include an options menu next time, so you can change the settings.
cool dude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

this is odd. the first time i ran your game it worked really well. now it starts flickering, freezing at times. i think its time for a spyware scan unless its something with your game. the controls weren't too sensitive in my opinion although Andy could have been running the game off a really fast computer, while i'm stuck with a crappy one. anyways good job. its the first game in a long time that i played more than once. Smile

p.s. was the source code supposed to be included, because i get wierd things when i open the other class files. i.e.
Quote:
Êþº¾
fpsgamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i can't even run it. Do i need java to run it?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, you need the Java SDK installed to compile it. Unless he makes it a .jar file later on. Which is why I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Wolf3D is an amazing game, and one of the first video games I ever played. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Aye, I'll be waiting for the compiled version as I haven't installed the JDK installed and can't be bothered to do so at the moment anyways. Just based on the fact that you knew his name I'm willing to bet that this will be good.
HellblazerX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Unless he makes it a .jar file later on.

Sry to go off topic, but how could I put my game into a .jar file, and how could someone without Java run it?
the_short1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well first off.. . very good program.. i like the use of sprites.. im sure will see you in the top 10 Very Happy. to others: dont try to run it unless your on amd 2700+ or pent4 .. or it flickers like mad.. .

Controls being too sensitive = too fast of pc?.. . the hardest part of programming a game like that (imo) is making it system independant (speed wise) and the main game loop being the most efficient use of CPU.

as to your jar inquiry.. . .jar's still require a JRE (java runtimes) to run, but they dont require a JavaIDE (eg. Jcreator) & JDK (development kit) most ppl have JRE for running java applets on websites...
to make a jar read my tutorial: http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=13010
HellblazerX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This is the newest version of Wolfenstein3D. The new features include an options menu where you can change the FPS, control sensitivity, and to censor out the images that contain Nazisim. I've also implemented doors into this version. It's not exactly the same as the way the original creators of Wolf3D did it, but it's pretty close. I've also added the status bar, with BJ' face in it Very Happy.

The following file is only the source code however. I couldn't get my .jar file to work. When I get that working I'll post it up.

Wolfenstein3D - Source Code.zip
 Description:
This is the source code, so you'll need JDK to run it.

Download
 Filename:  Wolfenstein3D - Source Code.zip
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Downloaded:  1036 Time(s)

Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: