Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Asok's Space Invaders II!
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How'd u like Space Invaders II?
(No ending time set)
OMG I didn't know turing could come up with something so good!
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
It kicked ass! I'm still playing it!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Great game, stopped playing after a while though.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
I could've made something better but it's still OK.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
I didn't like it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Watching feces melt is more entertaining than that!
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Asok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:06 pm   Post subject: Asok's Space Invaders II!

Well I finally decided to release Space Invaders II, made entirely in Turing. Thanks goes out to JSBN, Catalyst, and Mazer for source code and additional help.

The game is being mirrored here: http://boelen.ca/James/progs/Space%20Invaders%20II.zip

It's a whopping 32 MBs, extract all the contents of the zip file into the same folder to run the exe properly.

I hope you all enjoy this game, as it features many interesting gameplay elements. For cheat codes and additional game support view the Patch Notes in readme.txt, The game also reveals other mysteries such as what is my real name?

This program was made to showcase the fact that Turing is far from useless.

[hype := true] JSBN and I are currently working on another game over the summer in turing that will remain under wraps until a working beta is released. Small amounts of information will be released later as we continue to hype up this game Very Happy . All I'll say right now is it's looking great! [hype := false]

I'd love to hear any feedback you have on Space Invaders II in this thread. Also if your're man enough to the challenge, see how far you can get on Hard difficulty without cheats Razz

Edit: btw, the space bar is select. I didn't bother putting it into the readme, whatever. Very Happy. Also, the performance of the game will vary based on your system specs.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
JSBN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I must admit, Asok, you've really pulled it off. This is an amazing game, which i really enjoy playing. I also think that the music is not notch. This for your contribution.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

152264, first try...hard difficulty
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

personal high score without cheating is 400k
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just a couple of suggestions

1. Make a background in the space invaders place. Wouldn't be too hard to add, and would look a lot better
2. Get a better picture for the invader(colour maybe?).
3. Make a procedure to clear the key buffer so that if you hold space you don't keep shooting
code:
proc ClearBuffer
   loop
      if hasch then
         getch(ch)
      else
         exit
      end if
   end loop
end ClearBuffer

4. When you win, instead of quitting, let the person play agian.
5. In your View.Set, add a title and nobuttonbar to get rid of the button bar ex
code:
View.Set ("graphics:600;600,title:Space Invaders II,nobuttonbar")

That's all that I can think of. Lookin good Smile (can't wait to see what you guys are makin)
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

In response:

suggestion 1 I had origionally and took out because things were getting hard to see.

about suggestion 2, nothing says "ALIENS" like cheap alien flying saucers (reffer to "Mars Attacks")

The thing with suggestion 3 is I have set up 2 sets of controllers, one using WASD and one using the arrow keys, using WASD remains true to the origional controls of Space Invaders where you would just tap the throddle to move and you'd keep moving. The arrow key set up allows you to move only when the key is actively being pressed. This allows the user to choose according to his gameplay comfort.

Suggestion 4 is what I wanted to do but reseting certain variables to default became a tiresome pain in the ass and I had a due date to meet so I just chose to quit.

Regarding suggestion 5, I chose to keep the button bar because it lets the user do some things that I didn't want to take away from them (mainly print output, pause, stop) setting the title though is a good idea and I'm shocked I didn't do that.

Thank you for your feedback darkness, I may patch the game depending on the amount of feedback I recieve.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

very nice game...
xcept for the menus... i got a suggestion if u wanna make patch use getch for menus... cuz when i press up or down array it goes 3 or 2 options up... and it's hard to get the option i want... other than that... GOOD JOB 8)
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer, I did use getch for menus Smile

use WSAD configuration to navigate the menus with getch.

WSAD is my reccomended setting.

I'm glad to hear u like the game Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
hello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

very cool i have a similar game but not as good
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol hello, ur game's not even fun... u and ur big penis boss
HeTeRiC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WTF!!!!!!
When i click the link it sais i need a passwd
why?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats because JSBN's host is passwork protected Rolling Eyes
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i could not download it Eh

but it can not beat the all powerfull QFTB game made in turing. some day i will get that out dated pice of shit (QFTB) hosted and downloabale.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
HeTeRiC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know it's password protected but how am i supposed to download the game???
is their a guest password?
he said it was mirrored, what is the origonal site???
i just wanna play the game
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, you're not missing much... in my opinion - game sucked Laughing

anyways. You should try to contact JSBN or Asok about this, though good luck. I haven't seem them here in a long while.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: