Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hey, I'm back and such.
Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:05 am   Post subject: Hey, I'm back and such.

Hey there,

I haven't been here in a while, and now I need some php help.

I have small project I'm doing for fun, I have 2 files, the first is simply a form that asks for a username, a password an army type (radio buttons with numerical values). The information is then carried over to a .php file which then takes the data, and from the army type sets up the basic information (money, how many units, deffence, attack) and writes it to a text file. The problem is that I don't know how I can have php look into that text file and extract the information perline and then use it.

OR, should I just avoild that whole problem and just try to do it with mysql?
(with which help would also be appreciated)

-Jake

Ps. this is just for fun and I don't have alot of experience with php, so all help is appreciated. Thanks alot.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would discourage the use of a file for this, a database is much more rubust, less prone to corruption, and many, many users can access the data at the same time.

That being said, this looks like a good tutorial to get you started. Personally I just picked up a book with several example apps and went from there.

Just read up some tutorials online, and if you still have problems, we'll be more than happy to help out.
Blade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, a database is much better... and i wrote a tutorial on it a while back..

http://compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=7589
   Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: