Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CCC 2006
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i cracked up when i read your suggestion.. I'm going home this weekend, i guess i'll try it the whatdotcolor way on the bus..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe that case in #2 is indeed tricky, very good for a topcoder question lol. #3, well, it would be trivial if you had some pre-written library. Which is more or less recommended if you are ever aiming for stage 2.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The 2005 pinball S5 was more nastier than this P5 one.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
hehe that case in #2 is indeed tricky, very good for a topcoder question lol. #3, well, it would be trivial if you had some pre-written library. Which is more or less recommended if you are ever aiming for stage 2.

I dunno why I haven't done it yet >_< I've encountered the same type of problem so many times Sad This time I was off by 1 in every case.
person

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

one thing that interests me is that if u advance to stage 2 while taking the Senior CCC, ur no longer allowed to use Java

anyone know y?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Xiao, post the Junior problems.
Kaze828

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was going to write a function for determining if two lines intersect too but then I remember I can just use Line2D in java, that saved me alot of time.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kaze828 wrote:
I was going to write a function for determining if two lines intersect too but then I remember I can just use Line2D in java, that saved me alot of time.

In a 2D plane, determining if two lines intersect is as easy as
code:

def intersect?(line1, line2)
    line1.slope != line2.slope
end

Determining where the two lines intersect is what requires a (relatively) a lot more work. Or, determining whether a line segment intersects with another line segment.

I assume you meant this. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

anyone have any ideas for #5?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the thing that makes this even more difficult is that the cells change in the next generation. I am guessing with no advanced algorithms knowledge, the best one can do is brute force..? But as you can see, we could find a lot of previous generations using that method, but then we need to go previous of those previous o_O, which, by using brute force, is really really and I mean really slow. Michael, I am gonna go in TC and find some pros that know me and link them the problem. maybe they can give some ideas..? Cause I clearly see this can nohow be done using brute force.
gvc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Well the thing that makes this even more difficult is that the cells change in the next generation. I am guessing with no advanced algorithms knowledge, the best one can do is brute force..? But as you can see, we could find a lot of previous generations using that method, but then we need to go previous of those previous o_O, which, by using brute force, is really really and I mean really slow. Michael, I am gonna go in TC and find some pros that know me and link them the problem. maybe they can give some ideas..? Cause I clearly see this can nohow be done using brute force.

The key observation is that the grid has a maximum of 20 locations, so there are only 2^20 = 1 million possible configurations. For every possible configuration you can compute and record the successor. I'll leave it for you to figure out how to convert that information into what's required for S5.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

@gvc: Do you mean 2^10 starting positions or any type of position possible?

@all: wow the J5 was a joke. When I saw that othello board, I expected some recursive solution but the simplicity of it amazed me, simply checking 8 directions and the solution presents itself. I think J4 is more challenging than J5 just like last year. They make J5 sound so confusing, but really its easy as hell.
gvc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
@gvc: Do you mean 2^10 starting positions or any type of position possible?

Just to be clear, I'm speaking of S5. You are to find predecessors in the Game of Life.

The maximum grid size is 4x5. That's 20 grid positions. Each position is either live or dead. That's 2^20 combinations. Map each configuration to an integer and compute successor[c] for all configurations c. All configurations, not just possible starting configurations.
gvc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
one thing that interests me is that if u advance to stage 2 while taking the Senior CCC, ur no longer allowed to use Java

anyone know y?

CCC follows IOI practice. IOI currently supports C++ and Pascal.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What happens to people who use java to advance to Stage 2? They are pretty much forced to use C++
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 55 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: