Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] Deep Space
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How would you rate my game?
(No ending time set)
Amazing
52%
 52%  [ 13 ]
Good
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Needs Improvement
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Horrible
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:15 pm   Post subject: [FP] Deep Space

This is the final copy of Deep Space, my 2-D platforming game. I'm submitting it for my grade 11 computer science ISU. It's been reworked so many times it's pretty much unrecognizeable from what it once was (a remake of the original Mario). The game currently features 20 included levels, and a powerful level-editing system, allowing you to create as many levels as you want using only notepad. Three different kinds of enemies, many different kinds of tiles, a scrolling background, decent sound, character animations and strong collision detection are all present. I have revamped the engine to no-longer be tile dependant (makes it hugely more efficient), and have eliminated a lot of little unnecessary bits and pieces. I have also fixed the jumping, as suggested by Delos. The game records lives, score, and time, and has three difficulty levels. As far as I know, there are no in-game glitches, as I have not been able to find any while playing. The game is slightly resource dependant, and may run slower on older computers (however, it runs alright even on my computers at school). Read the included readme file for more information about the game itself. Have fun with it!

Deep Space.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Deep Space.zip
 Filesize:  629.01 KB
 Downloaded:  417 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow, quite impressive Smile The only bug I was able to find after quite a bit of time testing and playing is the ability to jump on top of spikes if you were running and moving horizontally and you press Up at just the right time. Its so hard to get that right, though, that its hardly even an issue.

Very awesome job. Will you ever consider releasing the source?

+500 BITS
blaster009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The source code should be in there...If it isn't, just PM me, and I'll repost the source. Smile Thanks for the feedback and the bits!!!

P.S. Had to reload the zip file, because the other one contained my ISU project papers...Full of personal information. Hahaha...My bad. Oh, and the current zip does contain the source code.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Very well done. You probabily could have saved some delay by using dots rather than a full image (ran a little slow on my comp). The game was well put together, good to see you have 20 levels. Which i guess after you make the first couple with this type of game, its not hard to recreate. Nonetheless it's still good.
Maybe if you were to edit this game in the future you could make it run faster, or maybe even a level warp function. That way we can pass the levels we beat.

Anyways, good job on it. Sorry im not as pumped as Hikaru is about it Razz, but here.

+ 25 Bits
blaster009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can always trash the levels you don't like (for example the first two, which I just put in so people could get used to the movement before having any kind of obstacles). Or edit them and make them insanely hard Smile If you delete the first level, just make sure you include the <MAX LEVELS> tag in the new first level.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

blaster009 wrote:
The source code should be in there...If it isn't, just PM me, and I'll repost the source. Smile Thanks for the feedback and the bits!!!

P.S. Had to reload the zip file, because the other one contained my ISU project papers...Full of personal information. Hahaha...My bad. Oh, and the current zip does contain the source code.

Oh, gee, you're right. I missed it because I was expecting a lot more than one file. Embarassed
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's very slick and well put together. I'd give it 100% any day of the week, trust me I've seen my share of projects.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

McKenzie wrote:
It's very slick and well put together. I'd give it 100% any day of the week, trust me I've seen my share of projects.

an 100% for what grade? lol.. anywho, its a nice game, but it would've been nice if u included an save/load feature so its not just a one time thing.. but +100 bits for polishing it so nicely
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amazing... nice..

+100Razz
NickGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very excellent, man! *high fives*
I'd give you some bits, but as you can see, I just joined and have none, so an "amazing" vote will have to suffice. I saw firsthand how much work that took, and you completely deserve all those bits.
Rasta Fella

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Speechless.....

+ 100 Bits

Edit: To add something to the "speechless" I also gave you an "amazing" vote.
blaster009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha...Who gave me a "horrible"? And thanks everyone for such awesome feedback. Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You know, I might just have to boot into Windows to try this out.

Your bits to posts ratio frightens me as it is. Imagine if you win! Shocked
blaster009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol...What do bits actually do?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

blaster009 wrote:
Lol...What do bits actually do?

Er, well, you can buy some name effects and things like that. But mostly it's just prestiege. Prestiege is good Very Happy
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: