Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] Overhead Shooter
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How do you rate this game?
(No ending time set)
Amazing
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Good
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Average
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Needs Improvement
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Horrible
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

do_pete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:21 am   Post subject: [FP] Overhead Shooter

This is my final project. The music was taken from the Rainbow Six sountdtrack. The function FindAngle is a modified version of the function GETANGLE from the program "Space Combat - AI.t" made by Bored. It's an overhead shooter. The controls are:
Movement - Arrow keys
Fire - Ctrl
Reload - Enter

-a description of what it is exactly that your project does
It is an overhead shooter where you walk around and shoot enemies.
-a description of your programming experience (if somebody who's finishing grade 12 computer science hands in a buggy version of pong, I'm going to laugh at them. If someone in grade 10 hands in the same program, that's a different story entirely.)
I'm in grade 10 and I just started using Turing in September
-a list of all of the features of your program
Has random blood splatters when you hit an enemy.
-a list of any known bugs in the program (be honest This can actually make you a better programmer)
The AI is glitchy, dead bodies can sometimes randomly disappear, the longer you play the slower it gets because of the amount of blood.
-any features that you plan(ed) to add.
I plan to completely redo the entire thing to make it easier to read and so that it runs faster. I also plan to add multiplayer, 2D particle engine for explosions, GUI, actual missions, and a completely different AI.

Please feel free to make comments and suggestions.

Overhead Shooter.zip
 Description:
Final Project

Download
 Filename:  Overhead Shooter.zip
 Filesize:  2.15 MB
 Downloaded:  975 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Albrecd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amazing!

I think you should start the player farther away from the enemies...
And a strafe button would be cool...

But it's Amazing!
sylvester-27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

albrecd...y did u say horrible. its pretty good.
u voted horrible but you said amazing? you are a very weird person. and yes, a strafe button would be very cool
Rasta Fella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Great Game...AI could use improvement and game does get slower but it still runs fine..Better GUI and your on a roll. You should continue this and make a newer version.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:37 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

Says the file is corrupt. Confused
Rasta Fella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Nope not for me file seems fine...
do_pete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No, it's not corrupt. For some reason it sometimes stops downloading after 1.88 mb
blaster009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I got the same error
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
iker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Same here, realy wish it worked... but I'm using FreshDownload, so that might be the problem...
Bored

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:36 pm   Post subject: Re: [FP] Overhead Shooter

do_pete wrote:
The function FindAngle is a modified version of the function GETANGLE from the program "Space Combat - AI.t" made by Bored.

Well that function was a modified version fo a function I received on these forums. I beleive it was zylum's coding but i could be wrong. Good game, the ai was good but could use some work and be made more inacurate to allow for a longer game. As for gameplay, it's quite fun just a little slow. I voted average by acident when I meant to vote good so please remember that when counting the votes whoever is doing so.
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

---Post retracted--- Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Consdering this is for a contest that has not ended yet i think it is very vaild to be posting in it.

This reminds me that we have to juge thess things soonish...
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You're right...Post retracted. I'm itching to see what people thought of my game. Smile Also, very good game. I voted "good" though, because I almost couldn't get away at the very beginning. No matter what I do, I die almost immediately.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good graphics and all but to die in this game is pretty easy, and how do we restart it? I have to close the exe and start again, maybe adding a play again would help, also make the AI a little less weak perhaps? And a different color for the players army men would help cause hard to differenciate which player I am.
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Overall, good job. I really like how you broke down the code into sections, very well commented, and organized. [claps]

One suggestion: Music.PlayFileReturn or Music.PlayFileLoop (must have version 4.0.5) to avoid the ugly forked process which eats CPU....(it ran kind of slow on my p3)...
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: