Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Editing/Compiling Programs on Windows
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

For me, it's a personal attack when you suggest to others that they disregard what I have to say.

Nothing in my reply was overly complex. If anything my response was simpler and more to the point than yours.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Geminias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

quote the line where it is implied that others disregard what you have to say.

if you read what i typed carefully you will notice that i said "if" you did not understand wtd's answer, then here's a different way of putting it... and i offered a more elaborate answer, and yes, it was less concise. Often when teaching you should use jargon very judiciously. This helps pupils to take in the main concept, but the drawback is of course lack of precision.

please don't respond if you still think i'm knocking you in some way since my case has finished being presented. i have nothing further to defend my position, if the jury is dissatisfied then too bad.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Geminias wrote:
incase you didn't understand wtd (he often communicates ineffectively by adding too much jargon)

source code: programming languages are all considered to be codes, so when you write a program you have written it in code, because computers do not understand english (yet). source code is a term which refers to a programs code. it is a sensible term because the source of any program is its code, so if you wanted to see the reason behind a programs behaviour a good place to start would be in the source code.

name of file: is quite simply the name of the file. <name of file> is surrounded by those funny brackets to indicate that it is user inputted. so for instance: if you save a text file as MyProgram.cpp that is the name of the file.

lol plz... the basic "jargon" used by wtd was very effective.. your's on the other had was unnecessary verbose.. It is EXPECTED that the student/programmer knows at least that bit of jargon... geez

And yes that quote did sound pretty offensive... specifically these lines:
Quote:
incase you didn't understand wtd (he often communicates ineffectively by adding too much jargon)
And then you further go about with the pointless unanimous definitions of obvious jargon.
Geminias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

you're right, i was completely out of line. You're also right that his use of jargon was inconsequential in this instance, but this is not always the case. More than anything i found his explanation inadequate so i decided to pipe up.

how come rizzix i only hear from you when you have something negative to input?

i only ask because generally i don't pay much attention to people who can only be bothered to say negative about me.
Naveg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just give it up. wtd is very highly respected here at compsci.ca, not only because of his wealth of programming knowledge, but also because of his kind, welcoming attitude towards beginners. For you to personally attack him when he is trying to help someone else out is very rude and disrespectful. We don't tolerate this attitude toward anyone at compsci.ca, much less a high-standing member of the community. And please don't accuse myself, rizzix, or anyone else who tries to put you in the right place.

Geminias wrote:
i don't pay much attention to people who can only be bothered to say negative about me.

Good, so that's settled then. Leave us alone, and we'll leave you.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Geminias wrote:
how come rizzix i only hear from you when you have something negative to input?

Short answer: I haven't had enough Java lately!

Long answer: I think I've mentioned this before. I only bust in when I see something wrong, gone uncorrected. In this case wtd most likely had no intention of continuing this pointless debate. I, on the other hand, felt I might as well destroy that little dignity left in you for the sake of YACM (Yet Another Compsci Mod). Eitherway, if it wasn't for me, it would have been another mod. Believe me! So consider your self lucky that it was in fact the good O'l me. That way you can safely blame it on the all-so-fictitious pessimistic character of mine.
Geminias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

holy macro naveg...

thats cool rizzix, i understand i can't really win against wtd. but i just found that when he teaches me i spend a lot of time puzzling over what he is actually saying let alone the programming aspect of it all. i really didn't think it was being rude, i thought it more constructive criticism which is why i mentioned it. i never say anything to be rude.

i have the mind of a noob still so i think it is easier for me to say what a noob can understand and what he can't. i trully believe my input in this matter should not be ignored. wtd should thank me for reminding him how stupid noobs really are.

if you guys think i'm wrong isn't there a nice way to tell me? or perhaps, if your not used to posting in the c++ section, why would you post the moment you see a flame war?
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Novice programmers aren't stupid. They're ignorant. Ignorance can be addressed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Geminias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

we are all ignorant of something, all people are ignorant. in my oppinion ignorant is as petty a thing to call a noob as stupid is.

since i'm obviously walking on nails here (a metaphor describing how i feel when i'm typing a message in this topic) "stupid" was a stupid thing for me to call them, obviously. but i was being lazy and needed an adjective we can all relate too, so stupid just sort of came out. why am i explaining this?

because wtd is a more learned programmer than me, but no one is more learned in life than anyone else. let that be known.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ignorant is not a negative thing to call someone. It's just a word. If it's a lie, then that's negative, but it'd be negative because of being a lie.

Willful ignorance is another matter. That is negative, but again, it's not the ignorance that makes it bad.

Being able to accurately use words is part of communicating effectively, and it's a big part of being a programmer. We all need help (myself no less than anyone else), and being able to ask a question clearly makes getting help much easier. What you know is not nearly so important as how quickly you can learn the things you don't know, because there's a lot more of the latter.

Also, you are not exhibiting true laziness. True laziness would involve knowing how to properly use words so that inaccurate use of them does not provoke a debate. Remember: taking a few minutes to get things right is much lazier than spending hours fixing it later. Smile
Saad85

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

im sorry if i caused this, but plz, both of you-- stfu and program something

oh btw, thx to both of you for explaining that
^^ Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You asked a question. There's nothing wrong with that.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

A question is only stupid the second or later time you ask after receiving a good answer. Smile
Geminias

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Also, you are not exhibiting true laziness. True laziness would involve knowing how to properly use words so that inaccurate use of them does not provoke a debate.

for the record, i was exhibiting true laziness by using the adjective "stupid". I am deeply aware of this reality and i know that stupid is not the right word. however, i don't like to talk serious very often because i am not a serious person. but, i consistantly have found myself defending the fact that i know better because of your stringentness, to the point where it has become noted. i think you underestimate me, when the fact is you just bore me when you go off and get all "politically correct" when i'm just trying to deintensify a "serious" conversation.

[/quote]
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I must comment on this...
Quote:
i have nothing against anyone

This is clearly false, unless you have had no experiences which is obviously not true. You should really watch your wording if you wish to prevent things like this from happening more often.

Anyways, this topic better not be locked because of this or else Gandalf + Sad = Wrath. hehe
*The above hehe does not in any way specify that the poster is joking.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 6  [ 83 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: